Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my post count tells all but I recently got a 2002 gti with the 1.8t 5 speed (107k miles) and the other night the clutch started slipping under moderate acceleration. then the next morning it got worse so i pulled over to check it out and i went to take off again, put it into first (using the clutch), let off the pedal and bam...nothing happened. engine didn't even bog down/move. last night we went to take another look with my father and we found the same result except when we put it in reverse the motor jumps like its engaging but nothing. the clutch pedal is soft as a baby's bottom all the way to the floor. also we have no record of the clutch being replaced by previous owners (2 of them) is that about the life span to expect from it..? any ideas?

thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Both the OEM clutches on my GTI lasted 60k. Time to look for a new. I suggest the VR6 upgrade kit from dbcperformance.com.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Both the clutch and pressure plate are Sachs which is a good brand. I say for the price its worth it...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it safe to say its just that the clutch was just too worn out and my spirited driving pushed it just a little too far? the part I'm stuck on is that it felt fine the other day with nothing noticeably wrong. what else should be replaced other than the clutch/pressure plates/flywheel?

thanks, Devin

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
anybody have any experience with this? it's much cheaper http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Search/Clutch/ES901/
You will still need a new Flywheel so look at the other reply in this post

The reason is because that clutch is a 228mm and OEM is 220mm with a dual mass fly wheel... Not compatible... UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A VR6 If you want to fit this clutch in a 1.8T you will need the G60 14lb fly wheel which is in the kit I am linking

is it safe to say its just that the clutch was just too worn out and my spirited driving pushed it just a little too far? the part I'm stuck on is that it felt fine the other day with nothing noticeably wrong. what else should be replaced other than the clutch/pressure plates/flywheel?

thanks, Devin
Should get the bolts and the throw out bearing...

This is what I just got in the mail and will be going in my car this coming saturday. Holds up to 300 ft lbs of torque and has been proven by many of my friends.

http://www.dbcperformance.com/K7003802F_p/k7003802f.htm

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Definitely doesn't sound internal related... It has to be the clutch but of course in the car industry, anything can happen. An educated guess points to the clutch. While you are in there you should might as well change the rest of the stuff out. (the kit linked) cheapest price around

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the first shop we asked quoted us for 1780 out the door for "aftermarket dual mass flywheel, rear main seal and the slave cylinder" going to call a couple other places around town. what do you guys think?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
thats major butt hole rapeage

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
dont know how far clayton is from you but i think he might help you put it in if you give him some cash

he is boostedJTI (or something like that) on here

if he is close to you, send him a pm

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
dont know how far clayton is from you but i think he might help you put it in if you give him some cash

he is boostedJTI (or something like that) on here

if he is close to you, send him a pm
He's 90 miles from me lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts