Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I purchased my brand new friend back in November 2017 w/63k miles, DSG, and has 22mpg fast forward to now she only has 64.5k miles and the only servicing done to it was new coil packs, sparks an oil change as one day in December I red-lined it in 5th gear and cylinder 2 misfired (everything came close to $450 w/labor). The car always serviced based on its carfax but now I'm running near 17.4mpg and put 91 octane when I can find it but most time end up putting 93 as its harder to find 91 now. Another thing to note is that my car DOESN'T HAVE AN AIR FILTER, bought the car that way as the guy was gonna get an APR one but ended up moving using it on his MK5 manual. I plan on getting the unitronic CAI for around $400 new but what else can I do? Honestly felt the car was losing miles but not performance after it got serviced. She doesn't make any weird noises or whatever and runs perfect just end up putting gas much for frequently now at $3 a gallon.Any info or tips will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
You might have had better spark plugs in there before and now that those were changed and probably had OEM ones out in you might not be running like it use to. Now are those highway or city miles. For a stock GTI that pretty high MPG if it were city. Now if that is highway that is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a city only, once awhile maybe highway but really rare and the spark plugs on the old ones were almost dead which is why i was gonna replace them but my parents ended up taking my car to pep boys and serviced it so I'm pretty sure they got the OEM ones as it def, decreased to 17.4

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
a city only, once awhile maybe highway but really rare and the spark plugs on the old ones were almost dead which is why i was gonna replace them but my parents ended up taking my car to pep boys and serviced it so I'm pretty sure they got the OEM ones as it def, decreased to 17.4
That is still pretty good mileage for city driving. But more then likely you got some ****ty spark plugs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LB 3907 plug
PN 1675 NGK double platinum plug

These are the ones they put in at pep boys I'm not sure if they have Iridium or not. If they are the correct ones why would my mpg drop so low?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
No air filter at all?
If its got a good MAF, by checking its mass air flow data, usually a camshaft position sensor and timing chain tensioner give it back its best mpg.
You know its timing pull?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
No air filter at all?
If its got a good MAF, by checking its mass air flow data, usually a camshaft position sensor and timing chain tensioner give it back its best mpg.
You know its timing pull?
He has the stock air box on the car if I am looking at his other posts picture correctly. But it is a picture taken in the dark so I could be wrong.

Anyways open up your air box and see if there is a filter in there. If not go to part store and get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts