Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am buying a '04 GTi Friday.
I've viewed it several times so far and every time I start it, it makes a split second sound after the starter stops being in use. The guy said he looked it up and it has something to do with whatever not receding fast enough and grinding the flywheel. He said he had an older beetle that did the same thing and that he had other people that drove VW's complain about it. Also said he filed the flywheel teeth down on the Beetle and it helped slightly. I looked on this forum and haven't seen anything about it, so Just wondering if this IS actually a recurring VW thing, and something I shouldn't be worried about. My pop is a life long mechanic and he bought it, but ya never know. Would be nice if I could fix it. It's a pretty loud sound.
Please excuse any ignorance. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
It could be a couple things. SAI pump, but most likely it's the clutch inside the starter not working properly. I'll wait for one of the more experienced members to chime in to be sure. I've only seen one or two threads about it so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Again take this with the grain of salt. But I remember people rebuilding the starter to fix it. It could be a normal noise though, the SAI pump is new noise if you haven't been around VW's before.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't take it to heart. This is actually my first car. I as soon as I replace the clutch I'll know for sure, huh.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The clutch shouldn't fix it. The starter has a clutch so it isn't being driven while the engine is running, that's probably the issue... actually, I'm over my head here. Volcano Help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it sounds like this...

It's fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it is a 1.8t make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done. If not try to get a significant amount off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I understand you haven't bought it yet? Timing belt and water pump has to have been replaced at least once, (assuming it's not a stupid low mileage car.) if they haven't been replaced you're going to have to do it.

Also it sounds like this? http://www.fallastarmedia.com/vortex/starter/starternoise.wav

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, it sounds almost just like that. A little but more abrupt and high pitched, but same timing when starting the car.
And thanks, I'll check on all that stuff. Guy has no idea when the last oil change was either, gotta check on that too.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yikes, that's a BIG YELLOW warning sign, if he doesn't know when the last oil change was. That means ALL of his oil changes were like that (unless he's selling this car for someone else). That would scare me to death. If he slacked on the oil changes, the turbo and engine components would be at risk and you could have early bearing failure among other things.

What are more details on this car? Help us help you pick the right one!! Never rush into a VW... You'll have nothing but problems. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is a mechanic that buys to sell. It's a military guys old car. 108k miles, couple dings and scratches, but nothing major. The hatch is debadged and shaved, ****ty though. I think they filled it with bondo or something. I know a guy who does really good body work And owes me a favor though. Idk what else to include. :p

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
He is a mechanic that buys to sell. It's a military guys old car. 108k miles, couple dings and scratches, but nothing major. The hatch is debadged and shaved, ****ty though. I think they filled it with bondo or something. I know a guy who does really good body work And owes me a favor though. Idk what else to include. :p
Bondo is awesome if used correctly.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I dont think it was. The guy I know said its drying up and sucking the paint in. Need a hatch and front bumper paint job.

·
Registered
963 Posts
only time i remember a sound coming from a car starting would be the teeth on the flywheel missing/damaged. i had an old jeep that did that.. did he mention anything about the Bendix on the starter?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts