Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Loose stick HELPPP!

Hey I have a 2002 GTI 1.8t.
Theres a lot of play in the stick shift, its really hard to get it in 5th gear. It feels like its not moving what ever part far enough to the right to get in 5th.

So I pulled of the shift boot so I could see what was going on, and the ball joint that sticks out to the side (to move a lever up and down with a left and right stick movement) has a lot of space between it and the socket. I guess thats where the looseness is coming from.
what needs replacing or doing to fix that?
Ive heard the tearm bushings before, but idk what that is?

If you can use pictures in your replies that would be helpful, srry I didnt have any to show

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: Loose stick HELPPP!

So does he need to buy a new lever or are you just pointing out that that particular lever is the one that needs some sort of adjustment?

My shifter is not that bad, but it's definitely a bit looser than I'd like it to be.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Loose stick HELPPP!

Hmm if I didn't want to buy a part online,
other than the VW dealership, any chain auto part stores that might carry something like that?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
These are 'performance' parts so, unfortunately, they would not be sold at the local auto parts stores, unless you're lucky and there is a VW tuner shop in your area. ;) Is there any reason you don't want to order online? You can generally get whatever parts you need much cheaper this way. Sure, there is a bit of a wait, but IMO, it's worth it in the long run. Plus you get to pick which parts are chosen for your car. Many shops get the cheapest alternatives they can and charge you out the ass, whereas if you order the parts yourself, you KNOW what you're getting. Just my $2...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
only reason I ask is because I actually have never ordered parts online before.

How hard is it to fix myself?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
click the pic, I put arrows to the joint and socket I was talking about as being loose.

I think I basically need the stick and housing, but not the cables?

am I right?

I looked at the links you guys posted, they don't look the same or compatible with mine.
Im pretty confused about it

also... heres a picture, the white ball with arm sticking out is what is too small/warn out on my car.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/2002 gti shifter/truspdgti/gti/0705001215.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
On what basis do you conclude it is too small or worn out? That can only be purchased at a dealer.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On what basis do you conclude it is too small or worn out? That can only be purchased at a dealer.
because I assume it should be a snug fit in the lever it goes in to?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
There is always going to be a bit of free play in the shifter. To tell if it's worn like you say, put it in 1st and see if it moves to where it looks like it's in 3rd, otherwise it's normal...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol I can put it in first, and move it to look like its in 5th!!!
maybe not quite but third easilly

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Since the previous owner of my car installed a different short shifter, I don't personally have one, but I've heard many good things about them! I saw one installed on a car at the shop the other day and it looked SOLID as hell. I've read a few other build posts from other ppl and they all seem to love them!

They were personally recommended by European Legacy here in Houston. They do a lotta work on VW's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since the previous owner of my car installed a different short shifter, I don't personally have one, but I've heard many good things about them! I saw one installed on a car at the shop the other day and it looked SOLID as hell. I've read a few other build posts from other ppl and they all seem to love them!

They were personally recommended by European Legacy here in Houston. They do a lotta work on VW's.
Thanks, sounds pretty good. Looks like I'll be placing an order today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts