Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Looking to buy a new GTI

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rostato 
#1 ·
So I have a few questions for you guys and gals.

I test drove an 07 2 door with the 6 speed last weekend and fell in love. But I need the 4 door, its just so much more practical and looks better to me. Anyway so I am waiting to get rid of my car now and doing more reaserch on these GTI's.

First off I HATED the sound system. What absolute crap. Its the one thing that I am really just disapointed with. I have been doing so searching here and can't find anything concrete about the speaker sizes and problems installing new speakers.

I am more than capabel of adding a sub, but thats not the first thing on my list. I read somewhere that the stockers are not removable. Is this true? I do not want to cut out anything on a brand new car.

Ok, back to the car... Has anyone towed with the GTI? I think Its rated to tow 2000 lbs, but I am not positive. I need this feature because I take my motorcycle to Daytona beach like twice a year. And I don't want to void my warrenty. This is a big selling point because there isnt any other cars in its class with a tow rating.

Also, how is VW with its warrenty program? I am an avid Honda guy but they are all crap latley and I love the new VW's. I dont want to do anything crazy to the car, but stuff like intake and a nice QUIET catback exhaust might be in the works. Again I do not want to void my warrenty. I like the fact that if it breaks I dont have to pay for anything.

What did you guys pay? I know mine will be a little different because of the 4 door, but I am curious. I want the 6 spped with package 1. Sticker is around 25000 and I think I should be able to talk them down to like 23000 OTD. I will have a big down payment and I have great credit too.

Also what are the most well known probelms with the new GTI? Any recalls? Any quirks that I need to know about?

Whats the maintenance schedule like on these things?

Sorry for the long post...

Oh and my name is Chris, thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
rostato said:
Also, how is VW with its warrenty program? I am an avid Honda guy but they are all crap latley and I love the new VW's. I dont want to do anything crazy to the car, but stuff like intake and a nice QUIET catback exhaust might be in the works. Again I do not want to void my warrenty. I like the fact that if it breaks I dont have to pay for anything.

What did you guys pay? I know mine will be a little different because of the 4 door, but I am curious. I want the 6 spped with package 1. Sticker is around 25000 and I think I should be able to talk them down to like 23000 OTD. I will have a big down payment and I have great credit too.

Also what are the most well known probelms with the new GTI? Any recalls? Any quirks that I need to know about?
Can't help with everything, but I'll give it a shot. I don't plan on changing my speakers, not that important to me, so I wouldn't know.
Never towed anything with my GLI, and I don't ever plan to. Like Dragon said, rent a pickup for the weekend and don't risk screwing anything up (although the torque is certainly there).
As far as warranty's go: Any mods that you do to your car have the possibility of voiding your warranty. IFFFFF they can prove the the aftermarket mod was the cause for the problem, then you're up shit creek without a paddle. If however you get a new exhaust and you're windshield wipers stop working, they will have a tough time telling you that you have voided your warranty.
One of the only common complaints about the GTI is a rattle in the cabin, and the sound system screws up every now and then, both are easily fixed at the dealership.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forums.

#5 ·
I have heard from a couple other people who had problems with the stereo (I've come to know it as turbo-bass), and the dealerships haven't always fixed it the first time. It hasn't happened to me since I turned off the speed-variable volume. If you're really worried about mods and the warranty, there are some you can get from VW, as long as you're ready to pay their prices, and their labor costs. I've heard of people getting sport springs and short shifters installed at the dealership, and the last time i was there i read the 'vw driver' magazine and they had a part number for a sport exhaust system (2.85" cat-back system, around $900, I think, not including installation.) I have yet to see a warranty-safe intake though.

#9 ·
Yeah, the stock exhaust is pretty good and doesn't leave much for gains in performance with everything else stock. I'm gonna assume the sport system sounds better, and it's wider than stock so will most likely open up some breathing for other mods like intake, chip, etc. I would love to see them put out a downpipe/performance cat to match it.

#10 ·
BlueFrogPosse said:
Yeah, the stock exhaust is pretty good and doesn't leave much for gains in performance with everything else stock.
Absolutely right. I would really like to see the gains of the $1,300 "performance exhaust" over our already performance exhaust that is stock.

The APR exhaust hardly does anything until you get the APR chip upgrade, the combination is a real winner though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.