Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some heavy research on which W/M kit to get and I've narrowed it down to two:

Aquamist HFS-4
Alcohol Injection Systems Stage 2 Trunk Mount kit (or fender mount)

I'm leaning more toward the AIS kit simply for the fact that I don't think my setup warrants all the extra bells and whistles that Aquamist has. I really think AIS has a top-notch kit put together here.

Your thoughts?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Don't know anything about those kits

I have only seen people run AEM and snow performance kits

I'm sure some have run those kits but I have not read of anyone on this site running them

Tapatalk This

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
same as Volcano, however, do you have a better price on the AIS system other than $660 on the site? Because snow performance systems are like $300-400. I'm also not sure why AIS advertises using washer fluid, then makes a big deal about relocating to the trunk, why not just use the existing washer fluid reservoir? anyways, to each their own
I've only heard of the following systems used in mkvs:
AEM
Devil's own
Snow performance

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've run devils-own myself and was very pleased with it. I've known people to use snow performance and have been happy with their stuff. I never bought a "kit" for my car though. I just bought all of the stuff needed and went to a hose shop for the hose to save myself money. I also put my own tank in the trunk because I wouldn't use washer fluid because of the dies in it--I've heard that's not the best thing. I just bought my own methanol and mixed it with water myself which tended to be less expensive.

Edit: I would not pay $600 for a kit!!! Holy cow that's expensive.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
A lot of people use their windshield wiper bottle for the meth bottle, also when your running low your car warns you with a dash light

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run devils-own myself and was very pleased with it. I've known people to use snow performance and have been happy with their stuff. I never bought a "kit" for my car though. I just bought all of the stuff needed and went to a hose shop for the hose to save myself money. I also put my own tank in the trunk because I wouldn't use washer fluid because of the dies in it--I've heard that's not the best thing. I just bought my own methanol and mixed it with water myself which tended to be less expensive.

Edit: I would not pay $600 for a kit!!! Holy cow that's expensive.
$600 is a small price to pay for having a w/m kit that won't jack up your car. The Aquamist runs off of Fuel Flow (IDC) and Manifold Pressure Signals (MPS) and has a "Fast Acting Valve" (FAV) based on a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal. This allows the perfect balance of water to fuel flow under all engine loads. This sort of in-depth install does not scare me. I like the fact that I have to connect directly into my ECU for the signals. The only pain is that there are two spots on the HSF-3v2 Controller where I have to open and close circuits on the board. I don't have a problem doing this, it's just, for $600, they ought to have an FSI specific controller so I don't have to spend extra time soldering and desoldering.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
This point you may want to contact them, maybe you can pioneer it for the vag scene? Kit sounds quality.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
A lot of people use their windshield wiper bottle for the meth bottle, also when your running low your car warns you with a dash light

thats what i do .... mines a snow performance stage 2 meth kit with a USRT throttle body spacer with meth bung tapped into it .... spraying post TB so it dosent mess up another one ....

·
Registered
629 Posts
$600 is a small price to pay for having a w/m kit that won't jack up your car. The Aquamist runs off of Fuel Flow (IDC) and Manifold Pressure Signals (MPS) and has a "Fast Acting Valve" (FAV) based on a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal. This allows the perfect balance of water to fuel flow under all engine loads. This sort of in-depth install does not scare me. I like the fact that I have to connect directly into my ECU for the signals. The only pain is that there are two spots on the HSF-3v2 Controller where I have to open and close circuits on the board. I don't have a problem doing this, it's just, for $600, they ought to have an FSI specific controller so I don't have to spend extra time soldering and desoldering.
I tapped into my ecu for my controller. Sprayed 50% at 4 psi and 100% at 8 psi or something like that. I can't remember the exact numbers. And I sure didn't pay $600

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I tapped into my ecu for my controller. Sprayed 50% at 4 psi and 100% at 8 psi or something like that. I can't remember the exact numbers. And I sure didn't pay $600
He doesn't want to rely solely on boost pressure, though.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Why not just spray at wot?

There are certain conditions you want met to spray and what amount to spray.

If you just spray at WOT then when you are at 1500 rpm and you hit the WOT you will dump in say 3-6GPH of flow into the motor which will likely cause serious bogging issues if not more serious problems. I agree with spraying post throttle body. The reason I say using a megasquirt ecu is you could hook it to injectors and be able to tune it just like normal fuel injectors with variables in RPM, boost, and or MAF. You could also build a PWM circuit to vary PW linearly with boost or whatever you want.

Edit: pulled this out of my injection testing thread:

"I did some pulls 1-3 degrees pull with system off and found that with APR stg2 and 2.0 GPH I get no timing pull. this was with 50/50. I ran some with the 100 octane file and bumped it up to around 5 GPH and got 1-3 degrees pull compared to 5-6 with 2 gph. This is with denatured alki tho "

So basically you would probably need atleast 7-8 GPH to run the 100 octane program. To do it effectively you would need a progressive system. Stage 2 93 octane can be easy accomplished with a on/off system set at 2-3 GPH.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
236 Posts
maybe I'm a little off topic, but can someone explain this to me in simpleton terms? you mix water and methanol and spray it into the intake post throttle body to increase what?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
maybe I'm a little off topic, but can someone explain this to me in simpleton terms? you mix water and methanol and spray it into the intake post throttle body to increase what?
u can spray it in anywhere u want but i spray post TB cuz ive already wrecked one of my TB's cuz the injector was mounted to close .

but ur goals here are
-Lower intake air temps
-Increase the timing
-Increases the HP
-Cleans ur valves up
-Octane booster
-Helps to eliminate detonation

do a quick search about meth systems and read up on the benefits

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Think of it as chemical intercooling,
The water and methanol is spraying as a fine mist into the air stream going into the engine. The water vapor absorbs heat from the air allowing a more dense intake charge, more oxygen molecules=more power.

The water vapor gets superheated in the combustion chamber and basically "steam cleans" the combustion chamber and valves.

The methanol acts a a high octane fuel raising the overall octane rating in the combustion chamber helping to reduce knock when running advanced timing.

Keep in mind water/methanol injection IS NOT a power adder. Water/Methanol injection is a power enabler. It allows you to run more boost or a more aggressive timing map, or a combination of both. The boost and timing is what gives you the power, the WM injection just lets you add those with a reduced chance of blowing your motor.

the main reason I see people adding WM injection to a gti is to give them the ability to run a 100 octane program on 93 octane fuel. The 100 octane program (atleast APR's) runs a more aggressive timing map but only adds a small amount of boost. Without WM your engine pulls timing like crazy because it is detecting a bunch of detonation.

Maybe not the simple way of explaining it but I tried

·
Registered
629 Posts
The water and methanol is spraying as a fine mist into the air stream going into the engine. The water vapor absorbs heat from the air allowing a more dense intake charge, more oxygen molecules=more power.

The water vapor gets superheated in the combustion chamber and basically "steam cleans" the combustion chamber and valves.

The methanol acts a a high octane fuel raising the overall octane rating in the combustion chamber helping to reduce knock when running advanced timing.

Keep in mind water/methanol injection IS NOT a power adder. Water/Methanol injection is a power enabler. It allows you to run more boost or a more aggressive timing map, or a combination of both. The boost and timing is what gives you the power, the WM injection just lets you add those with a reduced chance of blowing your motor.

the main reason I see people adding WM injection to a gti is to give them the ability to run a 100 octane program on 93 octane fuel. The 100 octane program (atleast APR's) runs a more aggressive timing map but only adds a small amount of boost. Without WM your engine pulls timing like crazy because it is detecting a bunch of detonation.

I'd feel smart if I could spout that off at random. I'd say you explained it!

·
Registered
236 Posts

No, that helped quite a bit. I am a bit naive when it comes to some of the stuff. Seems like it would help quite a bit. What is the average consumption per gallon of gas? Do you only run it on the track, or everyday? Gains on mpg over without it (93 tune?)

·
Registered
629 Posts
What is the average consumption per gallon of gas?
Depends on your nozzle. You can have a 1 gallon per hour nozzle or a couple 15's if you could use it up!

Do you only run it on the track, or everyday?
You would most likely run it everyday, especially if you tuned for it.

Gains on mpg over without it (93 tune?)
You won't have MPG gains because you would typically only have it spray while turbo is spooling.

·
Registered
236 Posts
From what I'm reading, 2-3 gph is recommended, so what's the consumption per gallon with that nozzle? I know I don't need it right now as I am stock but looking into things to be done later

1 - 20 of 21 Posts