My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm so #[email protected]$in busy with law school, I've been doing a lot of this car buying over the phone and via email. Amusingly, one of the dealers sent me his "quote" today for a 2007 silver 2-door Package 1 GTI.

Here's the email--
-------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, here are the payments that I came up with!

72 months @ 4.9% with 0 total cash down= 411.73

60 months @ 4.9% with 0 total cash down= 482.67

48 months @ 2.9% with 0 total cash down= 565.91

36 months @ 0% with 0 total cash down= 710.77

Keep in mind, these payments are out the door! They include everything like Sales Tax and Registration. Depending on term, the payment is what VW Credit will send as a bill every month. You didn't tell me if you wanted to put any money down so I ran everyone with out any down.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? At 0% for 36 months, the total price works out to $25,587.72. I feel like I can do better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
and thats with absolutely no options other than package one? So no 18" wheels, no ipod, no floor mats?

and...does that include a service agreement, extended warranty, or any of the other dealer add on bull?

MSRP on a 2dr with only pkg 1 is $23,500

Id say, get a copy of ur credit report... find some time to go to the dealer in person, and tak it out. I tried doing mine over the phone/internet, but they never wanted to cooperate. As soon as I went in in person, they were perfect gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Get the actual out the door price and check with your bank or a credit union and see what they'll charge you. I'm sure it will be less than VW. O0

·
Registered
158 Posts
Never negotiate in monthly payments. Negotiate the price of the car. The financing should be a completely separate decision that comes after a purchase price is agreed upon. If a salesman keeps shoving payment plans at you and won't give you the actual purchase price, he's trying to screw you. Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
matrim22 said:
Never negotiate in monthly payments. Negotiate the price of the car. The financing should be a completely separate decision that comes after a purchase price is agreed upon. If a salesman keeps shoving payment plans at you and won't give you the actual purchase price, he's trying to screw you. Go somewhere else.
I've got another dealer hot on my sale, so I'm going to copy/paste this email to him and see if he can do better. Hahaha. They're both trying to sell me the same car, so maybe this will pan out.

And if I never said how much I HATE buying a car and negotiating this garbage.. just let me reiterate. For reals, I've got enough stress with school.

·
Registered
22 Posts
dalpod74 said:
Since I'm so #[email protected]$in busy with law school, I've been doing a lot of this car buying over the phone and via email. Amusingly, one of the dealers sent me his "quote" today for a 2007 silver 2-door Package 1 GTI.

Here's the email--
-------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, here are the payments that I came up with!

72 months @ 4.9% with 0 total cash down= 411.73

60 months @ 4.9% with 0 total cash down= 482.67

48 months @ 2.9% with 0 total cash down= 565.91

36 months @ 0% with 0 total cash down= 710.77

Keep in mind, these payments are out the door! They include everything like Sales Tax and Registration. Depending on term, the payment is what VW Credit will send as a bill every month. You didn't tell me if you wanted to put any money down so I ran everyone with out any down.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? At 0% for 36 months, the total price works out to $25,587.72. I feel like I can do better.
I actually used to sell VW's for three years. First of all, you have to go in to the dealership. Everyone and their mother will tell you what you want to hear. Did they run your credit yet? Those payments would assume an A tier credit rating. I would recommend gap insurance, so that would take you up, but it SHOULD NOT cost you more than $300. Are you trading in a car? Wait until the end of the month to buy it, most dealerships struggle to make their sales goal projected from vw at the end of the month, that's when the dealer makes $$$$$ when they meet their goal, and VW gives them their guild bonus. In that case "cracking your head" for an extra couple thousand dollars won't be a concern if they get their $xx,xxx bonus from the manufacturer. The payments don't seem to bad if you plan to pay sticker for the car. Invoice on that car should be around $21,500. Also, you would have more to work with price if you buy an '07 since '08's are beginning to roll out. Also check with your bank or credit union on an auto loan, negotiate the price, then tell them you have seperate financing. This pisses them off, and they also make money on the back-end of the deal, which is financing. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
22 Posts
oh yeah, every dealership can do what the other can. they all pay the sam price for the vehicle, and mark-up is generally the same. also, even if they sell you the car at invoice they are still making money. there is a "hold-Back" built in to every car which is a couple hundred dollars. generally invoice is your best price unless they are trying to get that last unit out for the end of month goal. ps- make sure you take care of your salesman as well, he gets paid a % of the front end of the deal, which is what the dealership makes. so if it works out the way you want it to, he could get close to nothing. at least if i gave a car away, we were guaranteed a $100 "mini deal".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTI Punk --

The amusing thing is, I already told the dude I have outside financing set up. I guess I'll have to remind him again... but yeah, you're right. I need to make the time to go down there. I'll try to this weekend and let y'all know how it goes.

And these payments are for an 07. I'd def prefer 07 over 08 due to additional savings. Dude keeps saying how much cheaper an 07 will be, but the price he's throwing at me isn't anything to really wow over.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright. I got his response for the selling price.. lol...

(this is 2007, 2-door, DSG trans, Package 1, ipod adapter)

"The MSRP on the GTI is 25504. That includes the Package 1 and Ipod Addapter.

The selling price is 23800. Unfortunately there is no cash incentive on this car but there is a 500 finance incentive and I have applied it to the selling price. Actually if your parents helped you out with paying cash for the car, it would actually cost 500 more!

I really look forward to meeting you this weekend."

Is this DECENT? I've no fukkin idea.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Invoice on that car should be right about $23,800. So I'd call that a deal. You'd only get lower if the dealer was trying to meet some sales goal/make room on the lot for 08's, and even then not by much.

The selling price with the 36 month 0% financing he gave you was definitely not $23,800 though, so I'd make sure that monthly payment he quoted you there goes down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
matrim22 said:
Invoice on that car should be right about $23,800. So I'd call that a deal. You'd only get lower if the dealer was trying to meet some sales goal/make room on the lot for 08's, and even then not by much.

The selling price with the 36 month 0% financing he gave you was definitely not $23,800 though, so I'd make sure that monthly payment he quoted you there goes down.
lol.. yeah, the 0% over 36 months works out to a total price of $25,587 which is above the MSRP he just quoted me, but to his credit, includes the title, taxes, and registration and whatnot.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
I agree too - good price if it included title/tax/fees - If you subtract tax alone (in NV it is 7.5%) it gives you a price of $23,668 which is already below invoice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright.

New price:

2007, UG, DSG, 18", Pk 1 -- $24,225

I'd say that's pretty fair. It's $100 below invoice.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Make sure that includes the "documentation/admin" fee.

That was the only surprise I got after my email dealing and wheeling. an extra $300 but my dealer did in fact earn because of the extra paper work since I am a Canadian buying for export from the US.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
SmokinBaby said:
Alright.

New price:

Thoughts?
There was a used 07 w/ DSG for $4500 on Craigslist today. :eek: (The post was removed.)

I think the price isn't bad- tell them $23,999 and a set of monster mats would seal the deal. The closer to the end of the month the better. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
SmokinBaby said:
Alright.

New price:

Thoughts?
What's the MSRP?
How many miles does it have on it?
Does the dealer have any 2008s on the lot already?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SmokinBaby said:
Alright.

New price:

Thoughts?
What's the MSRP?
How many miles does it have on it?
Does the dealer have any 2008s on the lot already?
A few 2008s. This is the last 07 on the lot.
Forget how many miles, will have to get back to you on that. (it wasnt much).
MSRP is $26,055 according to Edmunds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.