My Fast GTi banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't particularly want to lower my '03 1.8T, but if I go aftermarket I don't think I'm going to have a choice. Does anyone have a list, or is there an old thread that I couldn't find that has a list of spring manufacturers with their drop, spring rate, and if they are linear or progressive?

The only reason I am looking to redo my suspension is I am getting somewhat of a squeaking noise when I hit bumps at low speed. It even occours when I get out of the car, a very noticable creak. I plan on doing a little Auto-X so I would love to avoid progressive springs as in my experience they tend to make the car less predictable when throwing it around on a technical course.

Also, I see so many posts just concerning 'lowering' springs, but not many about getting struts that are designed for a lower stance. Anyone have info about what kind of strut inserts work best with what drops?

Any general advice is much appreviated.

-Arthur

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
billstein probably makes the best shocks/struts you can get. they are pretty expensive but there are also other companies for a bit cheaper with great ride quality as well. i ride on a STaSIS tuned Koni Coilovers and they ride great. you can have them set to drop the car drastically or to just lower it a bit. the handeling will be greatly increased with them also so its a must have if you really want to get into AutoX.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot, man. I know Billstein makes some quality stuff, my last car (I miss my MR2!) rode on Billsteins and not only is it a nice ride, but they last forever. The only downside was that they weren't adjustable. OEM reliability is nice for a DD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts