Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you let your turbo cool before shutting off your engine how important is it on these cars? I always let my diesel truck turbo cool for at least 20-30 seconds in park before shutting down...

after normal driving:
after hard driving:

thanks,
daniel

·
Registered
342 Posts
Usually about 30 sec; enough time to shut the windows and stuff.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For git about it....VW thought of it.

The picture isn't big enough but this is what it says....

To prevent carbon build-up on the turbine shaft in the turbocharger, an auxiliary coolant pump provides additional coolant circulation for a certain time after the engine is shut off hot. The pump forces the lower temperature coolant against the normal direction of flow. The coolant flows from the radiator through the turbocharger to the engine block and back to the cooler.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy... so that means no cool down time at all? Perhaps this is why cool down time is never mentioned in my manual. ::)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am wondering if this is the slight humm I hear after shutting off and getting out of the car. I hear a slight humm/buzz coming from the engine area, not loud enough to be a fan but audible. It stops after a few minutes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chinaski said:
I am wondering if this is the slight humm I hear after shutting off and getting out of the car. I hear a slight humm/buzz coming from the engine area, not loud enough to be a fan but audible. It stops after a few minutes.
I've heard this too. It is definitely not a fan, but you can hear it, especially if you put your hood up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hear this noise also.... I menitoned the noise in somone elses rant about Turbo Timers... I heard it and found where it comes from after changing my oil and checking for leaks after running the engine. The pump is mounted close to the oil pan and u can feel its vibration with your hand if you go under your car after having it run for a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hold on not so fast. Dont forget about that HOT >:D oil. ya there is a a water jacket for the turbo but that hot oil will build up and that can hurt the turbo.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yea thats true but you it wont cause any problems if you wait a few seconds before shutting the car off. I always wait about 30sec to a 1 min

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just drive the car.

Think about all the cars VoA produce with turbo engines. They (VW, Audi, etc.) obviously know what they are doing when it comes to turbos. If they didn't you would have heard about it by now and purchased something else.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you have a very good point.My friend has a 1996 nissian 300zx twin turbo and he has to wait forever before shutting off the car and also starting it up. Its fast but the turbo keep breaking on him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only thing I've read in the manual thats related to this is that it says something like if you've been driving it hard and long that you should let it cool down for at least 2 minutes before shutting the engine off. Up to this point I've usually always waited at least 2 minutes (unless I didn't have the time) before shutting off the motor.
This is just basing it from what I know/heard of Turbo systems and stuff, but I'm still unfamiliar with VW's "cooling system" I'll prolly ask the dealer about it or something.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts