Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have found some threads about various lemon laws on the sight but none that have answered my question. if this has already been posted i have not found it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops i posted that way to soon. sorry. i have had my car since may 3 2006, since then i have run into alot of problems with it. on the first day that i had my car the air bag light came on, i took it to the dealer and it turns out that my car had a faulty air bag, it took them 4 days to replace it. just weeks after this i could teel that something was wrong with my transmition i have the DSG and every time i was at a stop the car would begin to shake very badly and almost stall out. i took it again to the dealer and they said that it was not the tranny but other parts which they replaced, this took them 2 days. i picked up my car drove for around a week and the same problem occured again. so i took it back to dealer and again they told me that they replaced the parts that were faulty and everything should be ok. again a couple of weeks later the same problem only the car began to misshift and i could not get it to shift past 2nd gear at this point my check engine light came on...i took it to the dealer again and this time they had my car for 19 days! finally i called them and told them i wanted a new tranny by the next day or i wanted a new car. they fixed it within the next 24 hours. about a month after this both of my windsheild wipers (back and front) broke. again i took my car to the dealer where they had it for another3 days. the car ran fine after this but today i had the fuel line guard break on the bottom of the car. i might have broken it going over a speed bump of something but i dont think so. i am thinking about telling them i want a new GTI. i have all of this well documented, what should i do? thanks alot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
according to what u said.. u cant request a new gti because according to the lemon law... they would have to try to fix the car a reasonable (4) amount of times before u can request a new car... apparently they fixed your transmission problem so now u are stuck with the one you have.. this is why there are warranties

·
Registered
26 Posts
if this happen like another 3 times but with stuff related to the tranny...then for sure aske for a new GTI. cuz u've had a lot of problems :( which sux! cuz it looks like its been in the shop for about a month total! hope u get a new one bruh! ;D unless u want to keep the one u want...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Speak to the manager of the dealership if nothing else works. You've obviously been sold a defective car and VW would probably want to replace it for you rather than blemish their image any more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lilmasterarj said:
if this happen like another 3 times but with stuff related to the tranny...then for sure aske for a new GTI. cuz u've had a lot of problems :( which sux! cuz it looks like its been in the shop for about a month total! hope u get a new one bruh! ;D unless u want to keep the one u want...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops sorry again i am still gettin used to this site so i keep posting stuff by accident. but to the comment i quoted above, yes this is true but when they had the car for the 19 day period they tried replacing many diffrent parts over that time span, which means they tried to fix my car around 10 times from the paperwork that they have given me. after that time period nothing was working, that was at the point where i told them to fix it in 24 hours or i wanted a new car. from my understanding that would justify a lemon law. i feel that i gave them alot of time to fix it and they didnt until i told them i wanted a new car, now with the last thing that has gone wrong i am getting tired of going to the dealership. i feel that i pain 20K for a car that was brand new, and i deserve to get that much money out of it, not a car that breaks down every month and i can count on being in the shop for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
pfresh said:
oops i posted that way to soon. sorry. i have had my car since may 3 2006, since then i have run into alot of problems with it. on the first day that i had my car the air bag light came on, i took it to the dealer and it turns out that my car had a faulty air bag, it took them 4 days to replace it. just weeks after this i could teel that something was wrong with my transmition i have the DSG and every time i was at a stop the car would begin to shake very badly and almost stall out. i took it again to the dealer and they said that it was not the tranny but other parts which they replaced, this took them 2 days. i picked up my car drove for around a week and the same problem occured again. so i took it back to dealer and again they told me that they replaced the parts that were faulty and everything should be ok. again a couple of weeks later the same problem only the car began to misshift and i could not get it to shift past 2nd gear at this point my check engine light came on...i took it to the dealer again and this time they had my car for 19 days! finally i called them and told them i wanted a new tranny by the next day or i wanted a new car. they fixed it within the next 24 hours. about a month after this both of my windsheild wipers (back and front) broke. again i took my car to the dealer where they had it for another3 days. the car ran fine after this but today i had the fuel line guard break on the bottom of the car. i might have broken it going over a speed bump of something but i dont think so. i am thinking about telling them i want a new GTI. i have all of this well documented, what should i do? thanks alot.
pfresh, I feel you pain. Unfortunately, my wife and I have a lot of experience with this issue. We had a 2000 Golf GL that was a piece of shit. I won't bore you with the details but it was one thing after another, the major one being the driver's door which rattled like a tin can. So we documented EVERYTHING including phone calls and built a case. We started to only dealing with the manager, then brought the problem to a head by sending 3-4 letters to the Regional VW Rep, and copying those letters to the dealer. We shared all our information including a time line and a detailed breakdown of the problems, and eventually got a meeting with the regional rep. We test drove the car together and he actually said "that isn't that bad", but then we test drove a new car and he agreed it was unacceptable. He said that he felt we would never be satisfied with the car and offered up a replacement model - we simply split the depreciation and got a brand new car for $900 (our old one was 18 months old with 20,000 km on it). We feel we did well, know they thought we would sue them or go to the media etc. (we were really pissed off). So it can be done, but you MUST be organized and persistent. We felt good that they ultimately stood behind the brand, however one of the reasons I joined this site was to hear stories - good or bad about the MKV before we make our decision to get one. I want to try to find out if they are improving their vehicles. You should not have to choose between design / build quality and reliability. The people who say 'you will have a few problems etc' have never been though what you have - and I have. It is extremely frustrating, which is why you need to convey that to the person who ultimately will decide to replace your car - and that is not the dealership so go up the food chain and be aggressive. Good luck.

EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION MY CASE WAS IN CANADA

·
Registered
94 Posts
We settled a Lemon Law claim less than a year ago. We used the Lemon Law Advocates. They just changed their name. Here is their phone # 877 247 2600. They investigated into our case, considered it carefully, and then pursued Ford. They take a piece of the settlement so there are no upfront costs, and if you lose there are still no costs to you. What was nice was when we were getting less of a settlement than we had hoped (were hoping to be reimbursed the purchase price of the car- best case scenario) the lawyer lowered his fees so we would have a larger settlement. They were trustworthy and didn't seem like a bunch of snakes out for your cash. Just some of it.

One very important clause you seem to not know about is that if your car is in the shop for a total of 30 days it is eligible for a claim. It does NOT need to have the same problem over and over again. In California, you only need to have 3 defects of the same nature or 30 days of repairs. The lawyers info I gave you deals with all different state laws, if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I forgot to add, the more documentation you have the quicker you will have a settlement. We had meticulous documentation and it was settled in less than 30 days. 30 days from the notification of your claim is all the time that VW would have to respond and settle. Ford actually 'lost' our paperwork twice and the lawyer slammed them for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
do a web search for "Attorneys for Consumers" Call them, it's free. talk to the experts.

You have to let the dealer try to fix it, how many times depends on your state. KEEP ALL YOUR SERVICE RECORDS!!!!! Make dam sure every problem you have is documented by the dealer and you get a copy.

Not likely you'll get a new car, might happen, but unlikely. (if they can never fix your car you might get a new one) What you can get is a nice check for your problems and your car fixed if you win.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
USMCRONIN said:
do a web search for "Attorneys for Consumers" Call them, it's free. talk to the experts.

You have to let the dealer try to fix it, how many times depends on your state. KEEP ALL YOUR SERVICE RECORDS!!!!! Make dam sure every problem you have is documented by the dealer and you get a copy.

Not likely you'll get a new car, might happen, but unlikely. (if they can never fix your car you might get a new one) What you can get is a nice check for your problems and your car fixed if you win.
You are correct- it varies state by state...

My sister had her 05 BMW 5 series lemoned and got a new beemer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bought my GTI 2 month ago. remote keys did not work - took it in and after 1 day the keys lock, but do not open, have to take the car back for that. I was told this was an electronic problem due to a missing fuse and a short (?).
2 weeks later the airbag light came on, electronic problem- got fixed.
Now the car stalls sometimes, at 2-3 rpm it just like it's loosing all it's torque. i\It even died once. A few seconds later it acts like noting happens. Have to take it in tomorrow again.

What make it so bad is that I am German and I had so much trust in the brand, as I had a rabbit back in Germany.
I still love this bad boy, but I'm afraid there might be a major electronic problem. Any ideas? :'(

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
FASTV 06 said:
What make it so bad is that I am German and I had so much trust in the brand, as I had a rabbit back in Germany.
I still love this bad boy, but I'm afraid there might be a major electronic problem. Any ideas? :'(
A German friend told me to never buy a German car made in Oktober ;)

You may want to check out this website: http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/state_laws/index.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Argh- Great! I actually barely made it to the dealership, as the car completely stopped going over 3-4000rpm. It's been there now since Thursday morning (today is Monday) and they still don't know what is wrong with it. The good thing is that it was so bad that I could demonstrate it to the mechanic, so at least the problem is acknowledged. I was told that VW USA is involved, but they still cant figure it out.
I looked up the lemon law and I guess if this happens again I will do a certified letter.

BY the way... lol.... my VIN said the car was made in Wolfsburg, which - to my knowledge - [fish]is not in Bayern, so the Octoberfest rule should not apply.... ;) ;D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
FASTV 06 said:
FInally... Ok it was the fuel pump. WOW, gone in 9600miles....
Considering the bars the FSI fuel pumps operate at it really isn't tht surprising that there are a fair number of failures. 2000+psi is a pretty serious pump!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.