Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
as always, i'm looking into all sorts of things with my new gti... i was thinking if it would be neat if i put under dash LED lights (RED) cuzmy car's red.. i think i would really look awesome during the night if ur in the car looking down at your feet... my buddy had a blue jeep and did the same with the lights and it looked great... what do u guys think???? i think i'm gunna do it.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
It would look really nice in the GTI in my opinion. A while back, I bought a mini street glow thing that was about 1cm x 6in., blue, and you plugged it into the cig. lighter jack in the ashtray. Anyways, even though it was small, it lit up the whole friggin cabin! The blue glow was extra awesome too, because it matched the blue gauges perfectly. Although it's not the same thing you're talking about, I think the underdash lights would give it a very nice touch at night.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got the leds off of ebay they came in a set of 20 for 10 bucks then i bought a switch from radio shack and i used a fuse tap to get the power and the you just send the negative to any ground if you wanted to make them work with your head lights you can hook it to the dimmer switch line which is pin 10 on the back of the head light switch

on mine i used 6 leds under each foot well and i used 2 sided 3m tape just a small piece to hold the where i wanted them to point

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the same to mine. Except I installed six LED total, spread over the entire under dash piece. I drilled 1/4" holes and flush mounted the LEDs and secured them with some RTV silicone on the top to hold them into place. Mainly centered over the pedals. I used two colors. Red and blue. To match the gauge cluster. When I put them it I offset the colors and directed them over each pedal. Really neat effect. I got the power right from the OEM floor light. Just took the bulb out of the housing and soudered leads right over to the LEDs about six inches away. Makes for a nice install.

Here's a diagram of how the LEDs are posistioned.

FRONT OF FAST

RED BLUE RED BLUE RED BLUE

I'll try to get some pictures posted later today so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I DId The Same Thing In Mine Tapped Power Offa My Dimmer Switch And Ran Two 9" StreetGlow LED Strips On Each Side .... I Also Wired In A Toggle Switch So I Can Turn Em On And Off But Most Of The Time I Leave The Switch On (Only Reason I Used Those Expensive SG Ones Is Cuz A Friend Of Mine Works At Advanced Auto And Got Em For Me Free ... The Packages Magically Got Damaged So The Boss Said Get Rid Of Em )
If U Wanna See Pics Of How Mine Turned Out Clike Here ---> http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/showthread.php/teh-chr-ss-black-magic-beast-3539.html?t=3539&highlight=black+magic+beast

1 - 20 of 30 Posts