Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i use armor all's leather conditioner, i apply it on average once/twice a month. I dont think u need to do it that often, but i love the feel. Plus i dont wanna get the wear marks appearing on the corners

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Every three months. I use Lexol conditioner or Zaino Z-10.

Clean the leather, apply Lexol- let it soak in, wipe clean.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What's the best way to remove stains.
I've got what looks to be a coffie or something similer on my pasanger seat, its like on the bottom so u have to like realy dig to find it but I know its there and it bothers me so any 1 know any tricks to get it out?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
What's the best way to remove stains.
I've got what looks to be a coffie or something similer on my pasanger seat, its like on the bottom so u have to like realy dig to find it but I know its there and it bothers me so any 1 know any tricks to get it out?
Saddle soap or the Lexol leather cleaner (the orange container).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know I'm a newbie here but I've got to speak up. I own a franchise called MARS. If you check out marsinternational.com you'll get the idea of what I do.

Anyways, I've repaired many many leather seats and I can tell you, the BEST thing to do to your seats is to NOT use those "cleaners" "softeners" or ANY Armor All. Trust me.

Why? Armor All is especially bad. It's a slimy, sticky goo that attracts dirt and plugs up the pores in leather seats. If you have any color other than black, this is especially important. As your seats get dirty, you are constantly sliding in and out of the car and grinding the dirt in. The Armor All is almost like a shiney film of glue. It holds that dirt and helps it get smooshed into the leather skin. Ever see older tan leather seats with those nasty black lines all over them? Too much Armor All use over time.

I could go on and on but I'd loose most readers (if I haven't by now) haha.

WHAT TO USE:
- Simply take a clean towel lightly dampened and add a little soap (just a little). Wipe the seats down with it. Then wipe them down again with another slightly dampened cloth with plain water.

Done. They'll stay clean, won't be all slippery and gooey and it'll help the leather last a loooooong time. I do admit to OCCASIONALLY using Lexol (a great low gloss product) but use it sparingly and not so often. Maybe once in the spring and again in the fall.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I use some kind of cheap gold-something product cleaning+conditioning wipes. Twice a year. Has worked nicely so far. For the first week or so after I use it everything is greasy but then it's all good.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I could go on and on but I'd loose most readers (if I haven't by now) haha.

WHAT TO USE:
- Simply take a clean towel lightly dampened and add a little soap (just a little). Wipe the seats down with it. Then wipe them down again with another slightly dampened cloth with plain water.

Done. They'll stay clean, won't be all slippery and gooey and it'll help the leather last a loooooong time. I do admit to OCCASIONALLY using Lexol (a great low gloss product) but use it sparingly and not so often. Maybe once in the spring and again in the fall.
i dont have a problem keepin them clean. (touch wood) but i wont want to get the fading on the corners from constantly sliding in and out of the car. Im tryin to avoid them cracking and faded, tinting the windows i hope will increase the life on the seats....

ne other ideas, if not to condition them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tint definately helps, especially if it's a higher quality stuff with the UV blocking capability.

Leather is actually easy to care for. Like I said, a damp (not soaking wet) cloth, a little soap in it. Wipe down and then repeat with another damp cloth with water only. That's it. The seats will look nice, last a long time and won't age prematurely like others.

Conditioning can be done, but sparingly. Some folks over do it. You know the type of person who's interior looks like it was wiped down with 50 weight waste oil! :D Everything is shiney and greasy. The dirt loves to cling to that stuff. A clean interior is nice and will last a long time. If you always "detail" the interior with heavy goops like Armor All or those "High Gloss" silicone sprays, it's just too much. "Clean" doesn't mean shiney and wet looking. There's a difference, especially in the long run.

Think of it like conditioner in your hair. A little now and then is fine. If you dump the bottle on your head and leave it there several times a month (or week) you'll have some nasty, greasy, dirty hair..... but it'll feel smooth and shiney!

Follow me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice comparison ;) hair is just like your car interior
It was simply an analogy my friend, and not to be taken so literally. In many ways though, caring for leather hide is a lot like caring for your hair which is why I said it like that. But what do I know? Sometime things get lost in translation, especially online.

As far as conditioning goes. I don't think of it as a "must do" thing but rather a "can do" thing.

If you clean your seats regularly I'd say you could use a mild leather conditioner like Lexol twice a year and have nice looking seats for a long time. I had an older Mustang with white leather seats (ugh!) and that's how I took care of them. Got lots of compliments on them too.

Then again, some guys just love to dump in the silicone spray and wipe it on everything but the windows.:eek: I simply like to look at things long term.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
If you clean your seats regularly I'd say you could use a mild leather conditioner like Lexol twice a year and have nice looking seats for a long time. I had an older Mustang with white leather seats (ugh!) and that's how I took care of them. Got lots of compliments on them too.
I've detailed cars for years and used Lexol for about 20 years.

Wipe down with a moist clean terry cloth towel. Apply Lexol and let it soak in, the wipe again with the moist towel, then let dry.

I only apply Lexol twice a year to my race leathers- which do get more wear/tear/dirt exposure.

Look: It's Dragon as a power-ranger: :D (Top of T-5A @ Thunderhill Raceway)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the Zymol leather cleaner and Leather conditioner. Never had a stain though so can't say that it works on them but it says it does. But for every week leather cleaning, I like this product. It leaves the leather NOT shinny and slippery, and it makes the leather smell like new again :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the Zymol leather cleaner and Leather conditioner. Never had a stain though so can't say that it works on them but it says it does. But for every week leather cleaning, I like this product. It leaves the leather NOT shinny and slippery, and it makes the leather smell like new again :)
i use zymol also i ha ve used it in the past works well..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yup the thread is really old, but for reference purpose. Lexol brand will surely revive and protect anytime of leather finish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts