Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard all of these tips about how to launch with the DSG, but it seems to me like they all refer to the newer models that have Launch Control. Can I get any advice on mine that doesnt have launch control?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Put it in s mode and just floor it. Can't you get LC programmed into your car at the dealer ?I just wen to the track 14.70's in s 14.60's with LC and had a little wheel hop. The lc is awesome!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how to do it with Launch Control, but mine is an '06 and i'm pretty sure I don't have it. I wanted to know if there is a trick to launching without it, but can you really get it added at the dealership? It would seem easy enough, but you never know. Anyone know for sure?

*EDIT* Oh, and that's not how you launch with your L.C. by the way. You hold the brake in S and rev it to where you want, then release the brake and launch. That's how I understand it to work anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
He wasn't giving instructions on how to use launch control....He was just answering your question.

like he said....The best way to launch WITHOUT LC is to just put it in "S" and go. Theres nothing else you can do without the LC program.

I have heard of people getting their dealer to flash the transmission to enable LC on the '06 models. Not sure if it has to be a 2006.5 or not.

Just go to your dealer, and ask. It can't hurt

·
Registered
42 Posts
i think the question is relating to gears or utilizing the brake. I have my 08 apparently without LC (Some bulls**t about not having the right software to flash to it) When I originally tried to launch, I would basically follow the steps I heard for using LC- TC off, foot on brake, rev to 2400 or so, take foot off brake. I was rather successful.

On that discussion, what lets you know if LC is installed? Is there some sort of indicator light? My salesperson was attempting to show me LC and simply tried to rev and instantly said "oh I guess its not on here?!?!" So how did she know?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Put it in s mode and just floor it. Can't you get LC programmed into your car at the dealer ?I just wen to the track 14.70's in s 14.60's with LC and had a little wheel hop. The lc is awesome!
You must get alot of torque steer. When I use launch control, I use tiptronic. I put it in first, floor it, nd all there is is a puff of smoke behind me :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can tell if it is on your vehicle because when you do everything properly, the engine should rev effortlessly (like it's in neutral) all the way to 3000 RPM. If it feels like the car wants to move, or the revs dont go to 3000...its not enabled. There is no light or any other indicator to show you that you have LC.

Since it is a throttle by wire car, you can not have your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time. The car will know, and it will ignore the gas pedal.

Just have a good reaction, know the car and how much you can push it without loosing traction and you're good to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, if I'm thinking correctly, I do have launch control...

I, 1) Sport it, 2) Turn traction off, 3) Brake, 4) Rev (it goes to 3000)

And, if I'm correct, you're saying that the engine will not rev if LC is not there?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
So, if I'm thinking correctly, I do have launch control...

I, 1) Sport it, 2) Turn traction off, 3) Brake, 4) Rev (it goes to 3000)

And, if I'm correct, you're saying that the engine will not rev if LC is not there?
That is correct. If you didn't have LC (i didn't, but got it later... I had an early 07 model) it would feel like a lurching, or like, well, you having the gas and brake on at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.