Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone; I'm just starting to get a baseline for performance before I start modding. I'm pretty new to racing and wondering what RPM all you other enthusiasts prefer to launch from. I dropped at 3000 this morning (~45oF) and wasted around a second spinning tires at the line. Any advice, experience, suggestions?

(I searched but couldn't find an open thread; hope I didn't miss it)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I think about 2500 will get you a good launch without that much wheel spin. At least that's what I think I launch at. I actually did today at about 3000 and I left some dark marks on the road. >:D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks kryptonkid; I launched this morning from somewhere between 2200 and 2500, and had much better results. In fact, I realized as I engaged 2nd gear that I had forgotten to turn my ESP off, but I hardly noticed it at launch. I can't get a reaction time from my GtechPro, but it felt a hundred times better this morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i try to aim it at about 2500 myself, and and i have minimal tire spin.....?......why you ask....i also have the 6 speed. i let out on the clutch at about 3200 but i dont completely disengage it util about 2300-2600. so what im doing is letting out on the clutch as the needle falls, not as it is rising (as most people do). at any rate, im imly in first for about 1 sec anyway. with the 6 speed, i found i get better results taking the needle to 4000-4200 instead of the line because 2nd and third gear are beasts...you probley allready know that though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
also, if you do take 1st to the line you might actually get more tire spin shifting from 1st to 2nd than from stop to first. also i have the mkv so there may be minor differences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.