Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey kid, tell me about the LC. my GTI is an 07 and i heard that LC is standard in all 07 models. i tried doing it but nothing explosive happens. s mode, TC off, hold the brake, rev and release brake. enlighten me kid.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly IS happening? I used to have a problem with the Launch Control before. I would do everything necessary: Put it in S, turn off the ESP, Hold the brake, push the gas... and nothing would happen... It felt like I was doing something wrong. It would rev to about 1500 RPMS and it felt like the car was about to move, I figured out it was because my LC wasn't working and what I was essentially doing was pusing the gas and brakes at the same time. That's why It felt like it was trying to move. So I got my transmission reflashed (after some trouble from the service department of my dealership), and my Launch Control worked. Well, after this lengthy story of what was wrong and how i fixed it let me answer your question.

You do everything mentioned, then as you're holding the brake, push on the gas. Your car's RPMs should rise (I don't think it goes much higher than 3,000). It feels like you're in neutral and just revving the engine. But now you let go of the brake and slam on the gas. If you revved it to 3000 your wheels will spin a lot, so I try at about 2000-2500, seems to give me less wheel spin. Then you just tear through the gears. It's a good feeling.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why should I wait until 3500? I have a little over 2000. I haven't done it a lot. Maybe about... okay, it has been more than I thought since I'm trying to count...8 times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks kryptonkid... finally i heard a lot of screaming... not tires though, but my mom at the back and my wife beside me LOL...have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha. No problem. By the by... I love your truck. You have my dream truck.(especially jacked up like that) I almost got one. It was between the GTI and a Tacoma TRD. The price was only off by a couple thousand. But it came down to the fact that I love small cars and fuel economy. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
u keep doing that shit before 3,500 miles youll lower the life of you engine.....because you have to break in the engine 1st......and you would think that you would wnat to take care of you car not keep pushing it.......

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I was under the impression that the break in period was 1000 miles. Anyway. I think the reason I did it so much was just because I got it fixed and I was a little gas pedal happy, you know? I did it mostly like the first 2 days I got it back from getting the LC fixed. I haven't done it but once in about 2 weeks. I don't think I'm going to be doing it often. Thanks for looking out.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah, the break in period is only 1000 miles. Don't worry about it.

My opinion: have as much fun as you want, as long as you're being safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm just curious on the logic of those who think he'll "destroy" his engine if he uses LC. It's not like he's power-braking or neutral dropping the tranny (it wouldn't be the engine anyways, we're talking transmission here), the engine computer is simply programmed to hold the engine at a very accurate RPM before engaging the clutch to obtain an optimal launch. Enlighten me, I'm curious on your logic...

·
Registered
857 Posts
There is no logic, it won't screw up your engine at all, there's no problem with LC.

You'll simply be buying new tires more often.... and that can certainly get expensive.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have 17" contis. recently replaced the front two. $440. I'm sure you could find them for cheaper, but i bought them at the dealership.

I give them business, and they treat me like a VIP anytime i have the slightest problem.

and just so no one jumps all over me, i needed new tires anyway, i wouldn't do something like this to a good set of tires.

·
Registered
245 Posts
10bv01 said:
I have 17" contis. recently replaced the front two. $440. I'm sure you could find them for cheaper, but i bought them at the dealership.

I give them business, and they treat me like a VIP anytime i have the slightest problem.

and just so no one jumps all over me, i needed new tires anyway, i wouldn't do something like this to a good set of tires.
Wow, the 17" Continentals must be much cheaper then the 18"s

CAD~$420 each (at cost before tax) to get the same tires as stock on the 18" Huffs. VW themselves wanted something stupid like $520 for tire + labour.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Never get your tires from the dealership. They are incredibly overpriced. You can usually find them locally for around 1/2 price of what the dealer is charging. Or you can order them online and have a local shop mount and balance them. That is how I got my last set of tires and I ended up saving a couple hundred bucks.

I actually got a set of tires for my lady's car at Wal-Mart for a pretty decent price. Their road hazard warranty is much cheaper than lots of other places and well worth it. If you ever get a flat there's bound to be a WM nearby.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hey every 1 has there point of view but.....the nothing wrong with the LC....its cool....i like it......but the fact that if u use it to much (like every day all day) that worries me.....you suppose to take of you car not damge it........

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I guess I understand your point of view, but I don't use it all day every day. That's insane. But, I will take care of my car. At the same time I'm going to have some fun every once in a while, especially when some ricer with a fart can tries to race me.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts