Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I am a month-old GTI owner and really nuts about the car. I do have a problem that, so far, the dealership has not been able to rectify.

After the first week of ownership, I noticed a knocking sound coming from under the floorboard when the car was given good acceleration going into a right turn. The knock would also happen when stopping somewhat hard (not enough to engage ABS). The knock seemed to come from beneath the seating area.

The dealership wound up replacing the dog-bone mount bolts - which are a one-use item. This did take care of the problem it seemed. For most driving situations, the knock didn't happen anymore.

However, when making a U-Turn on a busy street where I had to break hard, turn left and give it the gas, I heard about 3 loud knocking sounds durning breaking into the turn and a couple more powering out of the turn. Again, the breaking was not hard enough to engage ABS.

I'm getting a bit frightened that they will not be able to take care of the problem and wish I knew more about the mechanical makeup of the car to be a little wiser in my dialog with them. Has anyone else had this problem of can anyone give me some tips/guidelines of how to get this problem fixed?

The car did have 200 miles on it when I accepted delivery of it. I'm thinking it may have been driven hard in that 200 miles.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~kc

·
Registered
573 Posts
Turn off EPS, and try that same turn at the same rate or faster. You may be hearing/feeling the low pressure accumilators dumping. Is the sound louder with the windows down (sounds like a stupid question, but will help determine if NVH issue is surface or air related, and where it lives).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunny said:
Turn off EPS, and try that same turn at the same rate or faster. You may be hearing/feeling the low pressure accumilators dumping. Is the sound louder with the windows down (sounds like a stupid question, but will help determine if NVH issue is surface or air related, and where it lives).
I always have EPS off. The sound is quite mechanical and has a metalic resonance. Can't see that it would be related to EPS.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
kellydc3 said:
Greetings. I am a month-old GTI owner and really nuts about the car. I do have a problem that, so far, the dealership has not been able to rectify.

After the first week of ownership, I noticed a knocking sound coming from under the floorboard when the car was given good acceleration going into a right turn. The knock would also happen when stopping somewhat hard (not enough to engage ABS). The knock seemed to come from beneath the seating area.

The dealership wound up replacing the dog-bone mount bolts - which are a one-use item. This did take care of the problem it seemed. For most driving situations, the knock didn't happen anymore.

However, when making a U-Turn on a busy street where I had to break hard, turn left and give it the gas, I heard about 3 loud knocking sounds durning breaking into the turn and a couple more powering out of the turn. Again, the breaking was not hard enough to engage ABS.

I'm getting a bit frightened that they will not be able to take care of the problem and wish I knew more about the mechanical makeup of the car to be a little wiser in my dialog with them. Has anyone else had this problem of can anyone give me some tips/guidelines of how to get this problem fixed?

The car did have 200 miles on it when I accepted delivery of it. I'm thinking it may have been driven hard in that 200 miles.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~kc
i have the same thing. its happened to me before and after coilovers. u-turns and other hard turns (mostly right). i wouldnt worry about it too much because i have pushed the car pretty damn hard and nothing ever happens suspension wise. if you do find it is a problem though let me know.

·
Registered
573 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Sorry... but it's ESP... i'm a little OCD
What the fuck ever. Be OCD while providing some usefull information for a change. Do you really think the guy missed the point? and oh, by the way, congratulations on being able to read the button on you console!!! Shut up, shut up, shut up. Seriously! where is the face showing the bird?

I am working a project on EPS right now, and it is stuck in my head (electric Power Steering)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gunny said:
What the fword ever. Be OCD while providing some usefull information for a change. Do you really think the guy missed the point? and oh, by the way, congratulations on being able to read the button on you console!!! Shut up, shut up, shut up. Seriously! where is the face showing the bird?

I am working a project on EPS right now, and it is stuck in my head (electric Power Steering)
Gentlemen,

As mentioned before, ESP, EPS... I think the point came across. Anyway, we go into the shop tomorrow for the dealership to look at. I have a hard time accepting that this is just a noise that the car makes. At 24K and with all of the things it does so well AND not even being a month old to me, it simply shouldn't make these metal on metal banging noises. If it did on any review car, believe me, we would hear about it.

I've driven GM products (G6 coupe, etc) with narry a thunk sound. I wouldn't give you a dime for one though. I don't think I can accept the sound as a normal thing from a VW.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Gunny said:
kryptonkid07 said:
Sorry... but it's ESP... i'm a little OCD
What the fuck ever. Be OCD while providing some usefull information for a change. Do you really think the guy missed the point? and oh, by the way, congratulations on being able to read the button on you console!!! Shut up, shut up, shut up. Seriously! where is the face showing the bird?

I'm sorry, Gunny. Jesus Christ! I didn't know you felt that way.

Fuck. I must have been getting on your nerves for a while for you to snap at me that way.

But anyway. I've been getting this creaking noise when turning at low speeds. I don't know what it could be. i go in for an Airbag Light tomorrow and i'll ask them to check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
But anyway. I've been getting this creaking noise when turning at low speeds. I don't know what it could be. i go in for an Airbag Light tomorrow and i'll ask them to check it out.
...thanks for getting back on topic ;)

Anyway, this is my first commitment to a car from Deutschland. Overall, I am thrilled with it. However, I didn't hear creeks, thunks and bangs from either of the Acura Integra GSRs that I owned. This car, I believe, is a much better product. I sure hope VW will stand behind their product and get me rolling right. Gunny, kryptonkid07, thanks for your input on this. Now kiss and make up :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
All right. May be I took it wrong.

Did you check to see that you spacers are out? My car made some pretty weird sounds over speed bumps (at low speed, and sometimes on turns). Turned out the spacers used during shipping were left in... Just a thought.

Could be LPA slap like I said earlier too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My GTI is in the shop right now and the techs are supposed to be adressing this issue. I'll let everyone know what they found if anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gunny said:
Did you check to see that you spacers are out? My car made some pretty weird sounds over speed bumps (at low speed, and sometimes on turns). Turned out the spacers used during shipping were left in... Just a thought.
Gunny, I knew about the spacer issue from another forum but I have not checked for myself. I am kinda trusting the techs at the VW house to know what to look for there. However, I do need to follow-up with them and make sure the spacers are not the issue.

lumpypumpkin said:
My GTI is in the shop right now and the techs are supposed to be adressing this issue. I'll let everyone know what they found if anything.
lumpypumpkin, Thanks for your input. Please let me know what you find out. I did take the service manager for a ride-a-long and demonstrated the problem to him. I said that my mom's Kia doesn't make this kind of a stress sound when you ask the car to perform and the VW certainly shouldn't. He agreed with me.

Other problems I told them to look at was a sound like the seal on the driver's side door was chattering when going over uneven road conditions - when the car is torked like going over a speedbump at an angle. Also, sometimes when driving along at low speeds... all of a sudden, my stock radio sounds like its got a boomy subwoofer - which goes away by changing station and then changing back. He knew what that was right-away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the identical problem. The suspension is completely stock with the exception of a dogbone insert.
I track the car and always though it was the ESP system popping a brake on that was making the noise, but when I finally got the balls to turn ESP off it's still doing it.
A thread in another forum suggested it was caused by excessive movement in the upper strut mount bushings.
Let's keep this thread alive and figure it out.

http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74535&st=0

DonS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting Update

The attentive Service Manager at my VW Dealership called me this afternoon on the car's progress and said that there was a "TSB" he believes related to the problem I am having. I asked and he said TSB stands for Trouble Service Bulletin (if memory serves me well). Anyway, he mentioned that it was in regards to the suspension and that they were looking into acquiring the "kit" to repair it. I asked him if he could give me a copy of that bulletin which he said "uh, no".

DonS said:
A thread in another forum suggested it was caused by excessive movement in the upper strut mount bushings.
Let's keep this thread alive and figure it out.
Maybe this "kit" addresses the problem!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Im turning in my car as well for the same problem, and my compass disapeared. but the "head" mec. as no idea what it is, but some how it is fix able, i think they are hiding something super dumb.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I got my baby back from the shop and the only thing they could find was that the bump stops were left on the car from shipping.

I havent had a chance to try and recreate it, but i doubt that was the problem.

My dealer seems incapable of looking at TSBs. I had that radio bass flare issue, and they said "car opperating within manufacturers specifications" so when i went to pick the car up, i handed him the TSB for the radio fix and the service guy scratched his head and said "i didn't think the public had acess to these"

I think they were just trying to get out of doing any work.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Bump Stop / Spacer left in suspension, tomayto, tomahto. That is what I was saying it might be. It took care of my moise issues anyway. Pretty common to leave them in. How freakin hard is it for the dealers to remove these?

·
Registered
573 Posts
They should be pretty obvious. It is just a big hunk of rubber ~ 1" thick, 1" wide and 6 - 8" long. Mine was black, and suspect yours would be too, but color may be different. They use them during shipping because they tie the cars down so tight, and they didn't want to bottom on a hard stop. My car was already in the air when I looked, so I am not sure if you will have to raise the car or not.

Look at your control arms...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.