Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a new owner of a 2010 GTI and I already have a concern with a knocking noise coming from the engine bay upon acceleration. It is not a hard knocking and it does not sound malicious but it is very noticeable. The guy at the dealership told me that that is just something that GTI's do but I am not so sure. It goes away at about 2000 RPM after the turbo begins to spool. Related?

<matt>

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been putting Shell V-power premium. I suppose you could describe this as a tick but it is directly related to my RPM's. Checked the oil too in case you were going to ask.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take that back... the dealer filled it up with regular (89 octane rating i would assume). This is the first tank of gas that I myself have put into it.. I just bought it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello!

I am a new owner of a 2010 GTI and I already have a concern with a knocking noise coming from the engine bay upon acceleration. It is not a hard knocking and it does not sound malicious but it is very noticeable. The guy at the dealership told me that that is just something that GTI's do but I am not so sure. It goes away at about 2000 RPM after the turbo begins to spool. Related?

<matt>
I understand the car is new to you, but how many miles are on the car... Does this knocking/ticking noise change with accessories on/off (like ac.. etc..etc)? A distinct knocking is not normal and even with some 89 octane you shouldn't here a knocking... Pretty weird... I do know that the AC clutch will sometimes create some ticking noises, but nothing like you have described....

Are you DSG? Knocking/ticking evident with or without AC running? How many miles on car? Can you tell from what side of the engine bay the sound is coming (wtf - I know)? Any rattle type noises associated? Runs fine with normal acceleration?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK it seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine bay. I have the standard transmission not DSG. Accessories do not change the tick at all. After driving it the last 2 days the tick is not as apparent since it has had the V-Power fuel in it. It still comes up after a cold start however. Nothing while cruising down the highway nor when I am stopped. No other rattling going along with it. Like I said it does not sound malicious it just doesn't sound right. The car originally had about 34k miles on it the day I took it home.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK it seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine bay. I have the standard transmission not DSG. Accessories do not change the tick at all. After driving it the last 2 days the tick is not as apparent since it has had the V-Power fuel in it. It still comes up after a cold start however. Nothing while cruising down the highway nor when I am stopped. No other rattling going along with it. Like I said it does not sound malicious it just doesn't sound right. The car originally had about 34k miles on it the day I took it home.
Manual tranny with something north of 34k... Last 2-days the tick (not knock) doesn't seem as apparent... I would check all my fluids and drive it like I stole it with a couple of tanks of that V-Power (Shell Oil, my choice too)... Fuel treatment is a waste of money for these cars...

I think you have a normal MKVI that just needs some use and don't you love it... Seriously, I don't think you have a problem to worry about...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car is totally stock. I will drive it around like a bat out of hell the next couple days. Sitting at a dealership for however long probably has something to do with it. Thanks y'all. I'll let you know what comes of it after the weekend!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
are you sure you are not reffering to a rattle that happens when you are accelarating hard and then there is a lull in between gears? I have a 2010 and had this sound since the day I purchased the car and it always bothered me but I did see that many people on this site were experienceing it. I just went in for the the 30k service and mentioned it, there is a serivce bulletin that address it now by inserting some sort of sound suppressing clip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does it happen right after you perform a cold start up? Like in the morning after the car has been off for the whole night? And does the car somewhat "jump" a little more upon acceleration? It might be because of a cold engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it happen right after you perform a cold start up? Like in the morning after the car has been off for the whole night? And does the car somewhat "jump" a little more upon acceleration? It might be because of a cold engine.
It is mostly after a cold start. there is no lull between gears or any other noticeable lag.

Like I said it only happens in very low RPM's when I still have the clutch somewhat depressed. I goes away as the engine revs up higher (around 2k RPM) It is in perfect time with the engine turning so it also speeds up with the engine and fades into the sound of the rpms climbing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is mostly after a cold start. there is no lull between gears or any other noticeable lag.

Like I said it only happens in very low RPM's when I still have the clutch somewhat depressed. I goes away as the engine revs up higher (around 2k RPM) It is in perfect time with the engine turning so it also speeds up with the engine and fades into the sound of the rpms climbing.
That is so strange. I've never heard of anything like that before. Have you checked to see if anything is loose in the engine bay?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is so strange. I've never heard of anything like that before. Have you checked to see if anything is loose in the engine bay?
OK so I have a theory... it only does it when the car is in gear. If I rev the engine in neutral I get nothing. My thought is it's a bad flywheel. gonna take it in and see what the dealership has to say about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey to anyone who is still listening to my rambles, turns out the car may need a new engine. VW told my dealership to take the engine apart. I think they sold me a lemon. Certified VW my ass....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey to anyone who is still listening to my rambles, turns out the car may need a new engine. VW told my dealership to take the engine apart. I think they sold me a lemon. Certified VW my ass....
o_O really? Wow. I hope they are going to pay for this new engine lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts