My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little OCD yet about keeping my GTI imaculate... but with the 15 spoke rims, it takes me half hour to wipe them down. Who knows of a good product that may help me out? Is there something to buy that keeps them cleaner.. longer? ???

·
5,926 Posts
i am the same way i wash my car every week. but with the rims i went and got that mop head that is a spung and has a almost like a soft scouring pad on it and just use soap and water. it gets it clean but with all the stop and go of today it justs gets dirty again. but the mop head works great. i kept the hard plastic thing on there.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
johnnygti said:
I am a little OCD yet about keeping my GTI imaculate... but with the 15 spoke rims, it takes me half hour to wipe them down. Who knows of a good product that may help me out? Is there something to buy that keeps them cleaner.. longer? ???
Clean thoroughly, apply a good quality wax, then after a few hours of the wax curing, hit the wheels with some endust for electronics. Spray the endust onto a microfibre cloth, not directly on the wheels.

If you are truly OCD about your GTI: www.zainostore.com and use Z/CS on the wheels.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dragon -

Are you saying to apply a coating of wax to the rims? I really have not thought of that.
The Z/CS looks great, but it speaks of using it on the wheels themselves, and other plastic/ rubber areas. I will look into similar products.

Anyone use something similar?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
johnnygti said:
dragon -

Are you saying to apply a coating of wax to the rims? I really have not thought of that.
The Z/CS looks great, but it speaks of using it on the wheels themselves, and other plastic/ rubber areas. I will look into similar products.

Anyone use something similar?
I wouldn't advise using Z/CS on the tires. Wax or a polymer (like the Zaino stuff), will keep the surface of the wheel 'sealed', so when it comes to cleaning, the brake dust comes off easy. Avoid using spray on wheel cleaners (especially the ones that contain acid), they will eat away whatever you used to seal the wheel. Just use soap and water. If it's really dirty, use a diluted mixture of simple green to pre-treat the wheels before washing.

·
5,926 Posts
when i had a question you have always showed me a link to the answer. so that means you study all the questions and know how to look things up. that makes you alot smarter than me ;D

·
Registered
230 Posts
i use P21S for my wheel care, it is the most incredible thing i've ever seen in my life... just spray it on spray it with water and then wipe and its shiny

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the dealer put a product called cilajet on my Mom's new Subaru after a friend told me about using it on his MkIII GTI. The stuff is like magic.

http://www.cilajet.com/

It goes on like wax but without as much buffing. It seals metal and painted surfaces against most anything including brake dust. It works great on the paint, but I was pleasantly surprised that it worked on the wheels as well. You simply hose down the wheels and the brake dust washes right off.

I think you have to purchase it from a new or used car dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the cilajet looks great, but they do not seem to like us NYers. i would hope that if it is recommended on high intensity sun areas as Cali and AZ that it would be good here as well.
plus it seals the tire/rims. thats what i am looking for. i spend a lot of time trying to get the dust off the rims.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've also seen guys get the Ziebart Diamond Gloss on their rims. They say the like it. I love the Diamond Gloss on my paint. I'll definitely pay for that again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i know its late but i am new to this sight. i am a detailer not that has anything to do with this advice but a little bird told me about PAM spray on the wheels. Nascar does this so they can get the dust off easy. spray on wipe off and the dust will come off with just a hose

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
pam eh? interesting solution, might try it 2day....when i wash my car

·
Registered
92 Posts
I must say that I concur with using wax on the rims. I tried it out a few weeks ago, and they are just getting dirty now. I used Zymol Cleaner Polish...the blue stuff. Worked great! Now I'm also interested in the Pam Spray...if that works, it'd sure be cheaper. More polish for my Fast!

I might also add that I have the "phone dial" rims, which are a bit easier to clean in between.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Because of their color, the 'Charleston' rims on the Fahrenheits are easier to keep clean, I think. Definitely gonna try the Pam. I won't use it in the summer in Vegas though - my wheels might start cooking [fish]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Pam is great for keeping mud off (on 4x4 and dirt bikes)- but it WILL attract dust.

Endust repells dust particles due to it's charge.

Another cheap and quick way just to get some wax on the wheels is using Pledge.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts