Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if its true that a different model K04 will give you more power.

Also with this thread I wanted too see if possible to make it where people with questions about the K04 could come here and be clarified, like hopefully I will be.

Also with this thread those who know can put down what you need to buy so you can put your K04 on. Like I know the K04-001 is practically bolt on, but the others aren't so similar.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
732 Posts
I dont know but if the -001 bolts right on its going to be a lot cheaper than the others. How much fab work do you want to pay for another few HP? At that point get the 28 or 30 RS

Just buy a TT 225Q

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the Gt28 or 30 is alot of money, while i could go to a junkyard and pull a K04 off an Audi

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well its a money thing with me... I'm most likely going APR II and staying right there. My mk4 is a DD

·
Registered
386 Posts
Check out the FrankenTurbo, thing bolts right on, and they got 260 to the wheels with it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
All a frankenturbo is, is a K03s compressor housing mated to the larger K04 turbine housing. This is moves air slightly more than either the standard K03s and K04 turbos. Just find a junkyard or parts depot to pick up your turbine housing. It'll be like $200. Just gotta find a 225hp Audi TT which can be a challenge. Here is another thread on the K04 that we've already been through.
http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/13783-Time-4...-K04

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Thread is about him getting a K04. I made this thread so people can give info on the K04s turbo. For example if someone didn't know anything about K04 and only thought there was only 1 K04 and read that thread he may on know there's 1 model of the k04... But with this thread people can learn what they need if wanting a K04. That's all I want.

I once told a dude my turbo was made from fisher & price and he believed me....
I just want to help people.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That Thread is about him getting a K04. I made this thread so people can give info on the K04s turbo. For example if someone didn't know anything about K04 and only thought there was only 1 K04 and read that thread he may on know there's 1 model of the k04... But with this thread people can learn what they need if wanting a K04. That's all I want.

I once told a dude my turbo was made from fisher & price and he believed me....
I just want to help people.
Oh fo sho man me too. I'm not slamming or anything just referencing some other threads and explaining the Frankenturbo. There are multiple versions of the K04 listed via a link in the thread I posted a link to. It's an audi forum about upgrading a 1.8t turbo. Very, VERY helpful for guiding those looking to make the turbo swap jump. It's risky business but well worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Maybe you should get all the facts... Not all k04s are made equal. While a k04-001 may be a "bolt-on" a k04-02x turbo will make at least 25-30+ more whp. Why opt out for a k04 that, in a sense, is underdeveloped?

As for posting the other thread, it covers a boat load more on facts than this one does. Maybe be a bit more understanding. You want to learn about k04s, that thread has info...

And lastly, tho a k04-001 may not make as much power, the TQ spikes CAN/WILL snap rods. That's a small tid bit everyone seems to forget. You need rods, if you're building for rods then save the coin and either do a proper k04 swap or run a gt2871.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Right on. I've spent the last 2 hours reading over threads about the FrankenTurbo Mk2. Seems like a totally legit kit for a tag of $1099. It drops power just shy if not equal to the K04-02x. I may go this setup with APR K04 file and adjust to 4-bar FPR and HPFP with 380cc injectors. Should be pumping close to 280 or so with the right tune and mods. Rods are a must beyond the K03 turbo. Why cheap out on it when IE rods are less than $400, give you a great base for power, and are pretty easy to drop in.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Does apr charge from stage 2 to 2+ ?
Last I checked no. Something about how Stg 2 is basically flipping some switches in the v-tune module which can include the (+) attribute as well. I know they have to charge $200 to go to K04 progamming though.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Right on. I've spent the last 2 hours reading over threads about the FrankenTurbo Mk2. Seems like a totally legit kit for a tag of $1099. It drops power just shy if not equal to the K04-02x. I may go this setup with APR K04 file and adjust to 4-bar FPR and HPFP with 380cc injectors. Should be pumping close to 280 or so with the right tune and mods. Rods are a must beyond the K03 turbo. Why cheap out on it when IE rods are less than $400, give you a great base for power, and are pretty easy to drop in.
Easy to drop in?? lol, where do you get that from? You gonna do the rods yourself? I've been quoted anywhere from $800 to $3000 to do rods. The $3000 is just stupid insane, but that was from a shop that does not specialize in dubs, and they take the motor out (which is stupid). The rods can be done with the motor in the car. Take off the top end and drop the oil pan. But it's still a bitch of a job...

If you do have some additional info to throw in about the job, I'm all ears. This is the next big thing I need to do to my car to prepare for the BT setup. I've decided, I'm gonna go with the GT3071R... My buddy has an MR2 ('92 model) and just got his BT setup installed/tuned. He's putting 380whp down right now with 17-18psi on the GT3071R... lol, effin NUTZ! Cars pulls like a monster!!! He's also a lucky bastard cuz he's got RWD. :(

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Easy to drop in?? lol, where do you get that from? You gonna do the rods yourself? I've been quoted anywhere from $800 to $3000 to do rods. The $3000 is just stupid insane, but that was from a shop that does not specialize in dubs, and they take the motor out (which is stupid). The rods can be done with the motor in the car. Take off the top end and drop the oil pan. But it's still a bitch of a job...

If you do have some additional info to throw in about the job, I'm all ears. This is the next big thing I need to do to my car to prepare for the BT setup. I've decided, I'm gonna go with the GT3071R... My buddy has an MR2 ('92 model) and just got his BT setup installed/tuned. He's putting 380whp down right now with 17-18psi on the GT3071R... lol, effin NUTZ! Cars pulls like a monster!!! He's also a lucky bastard cuz he's got RWD. :(
Rods will be a DIY and are suppsoe to be pretty easy. I'm not worried about it.

FrankenTurbo is here. It's a direct drop in with manifold, TIP, Turbo, DV, and 3" MAF all for $1099. I don't think I'm going to go with it because there is no current programming out to fully utilize it's potential. It does run colder and more freely than the K04-02x so it's something to look into. If my K03s failed tomorrow, I'd get this kit instead of a K03s or K04. ^_^ People have been running it on APR K04 programming and have seen good gains. However there is some discrepincies in their findings and until something for this setup emerges, it is just going to drop the efficiency I would want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts