Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my name is Zac, i'm 17 and I am in the market for a new car after totalling my Scion tC. I was going far too fast for my own good and rolled it. Happy to be alive, I must say. I consider myself a responsible driver, and treated my car well, but I was driving with friends and allowed stupidity behind the wheel. I now have $16k as a downpayment for a new car, and I am 90% sold on the GTI. The 10% is determined on what insurance has to say. :(

But, onto the point of this thread: parts are SO expensive! I thought parts for my Scion were a fair penny, but wow, besides NEX, I cannot find coilovers for the GTI under $1200. Hell, after install, springs cost as much as Tein Basics did for my tC. An APR turboback is $1300, and a simple reflash from APR is $600, with no other options (valet, etc.) Intakes are decently priced, but most everything is $$$.

I'm not asking for an explanation as to why everything has a higher premium (although some input would be nice besides the obvious that it's a german vehicle), I thought i'd just introduce myself by bickering. ;)

Edit: I'll stick it here I suppose, anybody recommend a turboback that doesn't cost $1300? [fish]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Considering that you're 17 and you just totaled your Scion because you were speeding and lost control, i wouldn't expect your insurance company to be too kind on your next premium. I wouldn't be surprised to see them quote you $400/month.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The MKV GTI is still a fairly new car and not to many companys make aftermarket parts for it yet. There are some good parts though. The reason is that there are not thay many and the quality is up there. If you want good stuff (which just about every one of those companys are) you're gonna pay for it. Oh and don't let peer pressure influence your decisions behind the wheel. It's your responsiblity to keep everyone in the car safe so let that be a lesson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
Yeah. It's really easy to fall into peer pressure if it's something you already want to do.
I can easily admit it now: I was one of those teenagers who were invincible. I could go fast, and as long as I didn't wreck I could laugh it off and do it tomorrow. But my eyes are wide open now. As said, my premium is going to probably double. I totalled a 2 year old car, which in my eyes is still practically brand new, and I could have easily killed me or my passenger, who was not wearing a seatbelt. It has been two months since this happened, and it still keeps me up at night going over what could have happened differently, none of the other possibilities ending in me living.

I dropped three grand into my tC, and only about 1 of that was able to be taken off, and not mangled, which was my sound system. My dad paid the car off in full when we bought it, which, thinking back, wasn't much motivation for me to act responsibly. I took care of it, but on the road I was somewhat irresponsible. Now with this GTI, I will be making payments, which will furthur deter me from being a self-centered child.

One positive thing about my situation with insurance, is that even a two door GTI has lower rates than a 2008 tC, which I was days away from buying before I decided to look around some more. A quick estimate on my rates from Erie Insurance on a 08 tC was 2500 as a minimum. The GTI was 2200.

This was taken the next day with a broken camera. We took it to get pictures of what was in the car before I removed the items.

The grills from my tC are mounted in my room, under it stating "Luck only travels so far; lest we forget."

I appreciate not being torn apart here. I've certainly been chewed on a few times...

·
Registered
842 Posts
You are a lucky guy. Why don't you just drive the GTI stock for a while and get a feel for it without worrying about he modifications? Have you test driven one yet? You might be surprised by power in stock format.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Save the money that you will spend on upgrades and take some driving lessons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Power is not important to me, it's having a good sounding and good looking car that I want. The APR chip I listed was to enforce the point I was making that some of these things are very pricey for what you get. Mind you that it's still the best hp/dollar product out there, but still pricey for what it actually is, a computer program. It will be much later when I decide to take this route, if at all, but after purchasing supporting mods, such as larger intercooler, beefier diverter valve, etc. I'm more focused on making the payments right now. O0

Falconeight, while I appreciate your suggestion, I have already enrolled and completed the "highest ranked drivers education school in WV." It was a joke. The majority of attendees were truckers, who spent all our time asking about truck regulations, and ragging on "4-wheelers." To boot, I autocrossed my tC once every month, and was actually waiting on those coilovers before I competed in my next event. I believe adding those would have put me in STS class with my friend's MKIII GTI. I credit myself as a decent driver, but like most guys in high school with stupid friends, I let testosterone take over on a back road. The speed I was going around this bend would not have been maneuverable for any professional driver. I feel very stupid.

Anyhow, I did not intend to turn this into a roast or pity party, so returning to topic, what are there any mods that are basically a must-have? For example, a member on ScionLife makes many different little products but was known for his short shifters. They were the best available and were very affordable. Another mod was a full-lit third brake light, as the stock one only lit up 6 inches in the middle. Do you all know what I mean? Just small, affordable, popular parts. For example, I saw a GTI on here with painted sidemarkers. This is a perfect example.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I smoke taillights, side markers anything of the likes, unfortunately I don't live in your area but it is something to consider. I also painted my mirrors and roof Black Magic Metallic. I go for cosmetic things more then power, granted I own an mkiv and power is pretty lacking, It's still nice to have heads turn with the stock 16"s.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Zebman, try not to think of the APR flash as expensive for what it is... compare the amount of money it costs to the performance you get in return.

So... 600 dollars gets you 50lbs torque...

There's nothing I can think of that even comes close to that value for a TC.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Did you take a MKV for a test drive yet?

Hop in a manual and then drive a DSG ... You will fall in love - I can't part from my DSG anymore and it is much, much faster than any short shifter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I have not, I am currently waiting on legal issues to clear before I purchase a car, and salesmen are pissy with you when you're 17 and want to test drive, but not buy. ;D

I still think I will be going with a 6 speed though. Automatics, no matter how advanced or quick to shift, simply do not appeal to me. I could be proven wrong though.

And I am fully aware of the price per hp ratio of the reflash. It IS the best, and there is no way to make that power in a tC without $4000 invested. And even then, stock internals are going to hate you. However, it could be $400, and that would still be $400 greater than what it costed then to provide that reflash. That is not factoring in the ongoing payment they may have on the computer used, or the time invested on making the software, but I hope you see my point.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Zeb....from what I have read on this thread, you are an intelligent young man. I have a 17 year old son and I would like to think he would understand the significance of surving an accident like you had in your TC. It reads as though you may have been touched by how lucky you were.

I don't know you and won't pretend to.... I have to say that in no way, shape or form would I ever let my 17 year old son drive a GTI after causing a roll over accident like you did. The GTI tests the restraints of anyone who drives it. There is simply too much room to give you the ability to make another bad choice.

This is my personal stance and is not intended to roast you or negate how you have learned from what happened. I just think you are setting yourself up for another difficult situation considering the GTI.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Zebman said:
I can easily admit it now: I was one of those teenagers who were invincible. I could go fast, and as long as I didn't wreck I could laugh it off and do it tomorrow.
Wow, good to hear you learned that one fast. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way.

:WELCOME6: to MFG.

If you get a GTI you are still gonna be tempted >:D- so be careful.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
22350 said:
Zeb....from what I have read on this thread, you are an intelligent young man. I have a 17 year old son and I would like to think he would understand the significance of surving an accident like you had in your TC. It reads as though you may have been touched by how lucky you were.

I don't know you and won't pretend to.... I have to say that in no way, shape or form would I ever let my 17 year old son drive a GTI after causing a roll over accident like you did. The GTI tests the restraints of anyone who drives it. There is simply too much room to give you the ability to make another bad choice.

This is my personal stance and is not intended to roast you or negate how you have learned from what happened. I just think you are setting yourself up for another difficult situation considering the GTI.
Zeb- what he is trying to say is that you should look into the R32.
O0 (J/k!!)

Get the insurance quote for the difference between the 08 Rabbit and an 08 GTI and let us know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
About my dad. He is a very image-conscious person... I wanted a Prelude before a tC and a GTI, I always have since I was 12, but he would not have it. He wants me in a new reliable car (umm, we're talking about a Honda, not a new made-in-Canada Honda, but Japanese goodness) and have everybody see it, particularly my neighbor's dad, even though he won't admit it. My mom drives a new BMW 530i, my 15 year old brother has an Element SC waiting for him (what I am currently driving), and he himself has been through 3 Covettes and a Yamaha V-Star. It is obvious that all of this was and is to compete with our neighbor, as he has bought a Harley, a Harly F-150, a Wrangler for his 17 year old son, and a Turbo Beetle for his 14! year old daughter. It's very stupid, and he has lost a lot of money on going through those vettes, but I am not going to complain that they're both going through mid-life crisis. It works to my advantage. ;D

I'd like to drive a Rabbit, but since I have parts for my tC in my garage, it's between that and a GTI.

And God strike me down if I decide to be a dumbass again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Zeb,

I totally agree with 22350 on this one. I myself am 21, totalled a 3 year old civic and totalled an old volvo. When I test drove a GTI for the first time, I drove it hard and fast. I brought my father along for the hell of it, even though I bought the car myself in my own name, no help from him. He said if I drove this car like I drove my last 2, he would disown me as a son because he didn't want me to do something stupid like.. die. I promised myself I wouldnt do anything stupid in my 08 GTI, and sure enough I catch myself on a weekly basis on the freeway doing 90 driving like a maniac. This car brings out the worst in me as a driver. As one 'youngin' to the next, I'd say go with the rabbit or something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Zeb.... I posted here once at the beginning and then kinda ignored this thread thinking there was going to be some flaming and stuff going on around... But I must say, you're a cool guy. You got a good head on your shoulders for being 17. I'm glad that the newer generation of GTI drivers are for the most part (except B13... haha, whoops... did I say that out loud?) responsible.

The first month or so that I had my 03 Lancer OZ Rally... I spun out on the freeway going only about 45 or so. I almost hit 1. A sign 2. A tree and 3. A fence.

It wasn't my fault.... well, maybe lack of experience but a guy cut me off. I realized just how things can turn in a couple of seconds. One second I had the radio full blast, all 4 windows down, just enjoying a nice day after school on my way home. The next I was in a blur, my car was facing against traffic in a ditch next to a fence with my interior completely covered in mud explaining to a Sheriff what happened.

It just woke me up so to speak. I know the power cars can have (I'm not talking HP since the Lancer only had 120) but I realized had something gone wrong... I wouldn't be here now. Now imagine going 80+ mph and on top of that another car next to or behind you going almost the same speed and driving just as reckless? It just spells disaster.

I haven't had any accidents with my GTI, I have pushed it's limits and I won't deny street racing, but just always remember what power and speed can do to a car and the people not only inside it, but around it as well.

You seem like you learned your lesson and you know what? I say go for the GTi. Why not add another piece of German engineering to your driveway? :)

Just stay safe and remember what you have in your room: "Luck only travels so far; lest we forget."

1 - 20 of 43 Posts