Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. Just a brief background, I just obtained a new job after graduating from college a few months ago. I've been driving a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee for several years now (just to get through school and all) and decided it was time to get something new(er). I test drove several vehicles and was about to purchase a brand new Civic when I drove by the local VW dealership in Madison, Tennessee. I couldn't afford a new GTI, but the MKIVs were always one of my favorite cars on the road. I asked if they had any used GTIs and he said no (pristine condition, used MKVIs are rare to find here). So, I was about to drive off and the salesman ran to my Jeep and said, "Wait, we just got one yesterday from a guy trading up for a new GTI." I test drove it - the first time I had ever driven a GTI. I pretty much decided then and there, aside from background checks and detailing, I was going to leave with it.

Sitting inside to where I can see my '05 Reflex Silver GTI, I can barely wipe the grin off my face. It's completely amazing. Now I can see (and feel) what the other posts and 'new buyer testimonies' are all about. Glad to be here.

I'm considering buying a new set of rims within the next year or so (once I can get well-started on my financing stuff...). I really, really like the MKVs with the 18" Huffs (especially the one somewhere on this site with the powder-coated black Huffs - absolutely amazing), but I'm not sure how they'd look on my MKIV. If this question/thought is somewhere else on the boards, my bad - I didn't see anyone else ask about the Huffs on an '05. Otherwise, I have also looked at some 18" BBS rims - they'd definitely be niiice. Any advice/opinions?

Also, I've been looking at some alarm systems on the market. The only product line I'm remotely familiar with is Viper. If anyone would care to share their advice, experience or bashings for alarm systems, I would be very grateful.

I would ask about radar detectors, but the massive thread on that has helped out a great deal already!

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome Aboard arsenalGTI!!! O0

·
Registered
17 Posts
love my reflex silver too. i'm going out to wash mine here in a minute. welcome to the board and hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Silver GTI's UNITE!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would love to see some huffs on an MKIV. I too think the MKIV is a great design, it is aging very nicely and still looks fresh IMO. Dropped down with some 18" huffs would be awesome I think. Let see some pics!

edit: what's wrong with the stock alarm? it has an immobilizer and everything....?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Woot! Woot! Hurray for the MKIV GTI...

Anyway, as to your question regarding the Huffs, they won't fit. The bolt pattern on your MkIV is 5-100 with a 35mm offset. For the MkIV it is 5-112 with a 45mm offset. The offset isn't as important, but the bolt pattern won't allow the Huffs to fit. Unless you find a set of replicas that fit, I'd say check out the BBS rims. I'd like to get some gunmetal BBS rims myself but they are a bit pricey. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@uncle dude: I wasn't very up to par on the stock alarm until now - I can get a little OCD about stuff like that, especially when it comes to such a nice ride. Thanks for the reminder about the stock alarm features. And yes, I believe the MKIV is aging very well, even in comparison to the newer MKVs. Although I love the MKVs, I honestly could not be happier with the design and drive-ability of the MKIV.

@MicMoor77: Thanks for the information concerning the Huffs. I, too, believe gunmetal BBS wheels would be really sweet on the MKIV. Although I don't have the money for anything like that right now, I am definitely putting it into consideration to buy before the year is over. I'm sure some 18s would be absolutely gorgeous...perhaps even beyond its beauty as of right now!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
arsenalGTI said:
@MicMoor77: Thanks for the information concerning the Huffs. I, too, believe gunmetal BBS wheels would be really sweet on the MKIV. Although I don't have the money for anything like that right now, I am definitely putting it into consideration to buy before the year is over. I'm sure some 18s would be absolutely gorgeous...perhaps even beyond its beauty as of right now!
If you want to see what different wheels look like on your car: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...autoModel=GTI+1.8T&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.