Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my fast with 350 miles on it, when can i start rompin on the thing??? they never told me how many miles i should have to start drivin hard in it, and i want to know so i dont efff it up!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lots of different theories; some say 2000, some say 5000....best bet would be to wait until at least 1000..make sure u warm up, and cool down the car...every time....that will save ur turbo without the cost of accesories

turbo timers may increase the life of ur turbo...but may void ur warranty...unfortuneately; make sure u can maitenence done when to the book, warm up, and cool down ur car....ur first and last 2-5 miles of each drive shuold be at an easy pace. don't rip the car aroudn town, starting and stopping ur engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To warm up the engine just start and go but drive easy until up to normal operating temperature.

There is no need to warm up or cool down the turbo. Safeguards have been engineered into all turbo cars for many years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree. You don't have to worry about the turbo> Previously VW had in the manual you should wait 60 seconds before driving the car and before you shut it down. I can find this rule in the manual or anywhere anymore. So what I do is wait 30 seconds when I start the car (to give a little time for the oil to reach everywhere and I go. Then I wait 30seconds before I shut the car off for the oil to satle. That's it! 8)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know that the '07 GTI comes with a built-in oil circulator that will run after the engine is shut off to keep it from fryin' in the turbo. There's no need to worry about letting it run or having a turbo timer installed. Granted that letting the rest of the machine cool down after runnin' it hard would be a good idea, don't worry 'bout da' turbo fryin' on ya'. O0

·
Registered
6 Posts
To warm up the engine just start and go but drive easy until up to normal operating temperature.

There is no need to warm up or cool down the turbo. Safeguards have been engineered into all turbo cars for many years.
Yah this is true, However I just got back from england and I had a peice of CRAP 97 Rover 600. (it's basically a honda accord with a 200hp turbo in a HUGE heavy body and bad suspension.) It used engine oil to cool down the turbo and it stated that if the turbo was used in any frequency to wait 5-10 minutes letting the turbo cool down before turning off the car! Man that sucked ass.

How annoying. Anyway, I remember reading something saying exactly what Globalpack said. If the turbo is going to destroy the engine it's going to be pointless to install it so they put a lot of stuff in there to protect it. But you should always drive your car easy to begin with. No matter what car it is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know that the '07 GTI comes with a built-in oil circulator that will run after the engine is shut off to keep it from fryin' in the turbo. There's no need to worry about letting it run or having a turbo timer installed. Granted that letting the rest of the machine cool down after runnin' it hard would be a good idea, don't worry 'bout da' turbo fryin' on ya'. O0
Well multiple people said at the dealer that you don't have to worry about that because of the synthetic oil they've been using now...whatever that means but Craten is right. When I shut off my engine in my garage I hear a buzzing noise and I always wondered what it was but it sounds like it must be that oil circulator Craten is talking about. The buzzing stops after a few mins. Go ahead, listen for it next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.