Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with the DSG transmission on my GTI, and I'd appreciate any insights/opinions. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with my car specifically or whether it's idiosyncratic to the transmission, but it seems too pronounced to be the latter, and it's proven to be pretty frustrating/annoying.

In drive mode, the shifting is usually pretty smooth, although every now and then - usually during long periods of stop-and-go driving or when taken off the expressway, the car starts shifting pretty violently into gear - almost like somone tried shifting it without taking the clutch out. It punches when stopping, shifting from 2nd to 1st, and from stopped into first. This isn't any little punch either - it's really loud, and violent enough to shake the whole car and feels like a problem.

I know the GTI isn't designed to be super smooth, so right now I'm trying to figure out the difference between normal and problematic activity. Any response would be appreciated. It's already been bench tested at the dealer and they said it was acting normally, but of course, I couldn't get it to do what it's been doing that day.

Thanks!

-Joel

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definetly not normal ......my DSG has never acted as such .......keep close communication with the dealer .....try different dealers as well...good luck!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
hmmm... i know when i shift from 2nd to first at a relativly high RPM i will get a pretty good kick in the transmission. but i dont get that in any other gears... you really should get that checked out again. if they say its normal still ask to test drive one of their GTI's and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses - it gives me peace of mind to at least know it's not normal. I'll try taking it to a different dealer this week.

-Joel

·
Registered
857 Posts
yeah absolutley, always get more than one opinion. it would probably be in your best interest if you test drove one like GTI MKV said, that way you can tell them specifically what your car is doing wrong and what the the test drive car is doing right.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've gotten so accustomed to the manual transmission lately, it feels almost like I'm driving DSG, my shifts are so short and fast. It's really a great transmission, I haven't mis-shifted once. In my old Jetta, I had the thing for 7 years and still occasionally fucked up a shift near the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
joel, I came on here hoping I find some one with same problem as me. I have MKV R32 DSG 2006, with same problem. Just a little abrupt on down shifting eben in auto mode, and wheN I come to set of lights it shuds and hard metal noises. It is definitely not normal, but I think it is a matter driving with different style, or the DSG or clutches have loosened up. It definitely did not do that when new. The car is now 6500km old and too early for 1st service, but I will book it in for service and explain to VW dealer.

If you have found solution pls advise. I want to fix if there is problem, under warranty period.

my email [email protected]. Sydney Aust. write to me pls
Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 GTI is having the same problem. Dealer replaced transmission (so they said) the fuel pump and reset the computer. No help. Can someone please tell me what has been done to either fix this problem or did they replace the car? It has been in 3 times - the last time they had it for a month. It is going in again on Thursday. I love my car but I just can't have it perform like this.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah this is a really big issue. My only advice would be to just continue to bring it in until it works properly. it stinks to have to give up your car for that amount of time, but the DSG is a very expensive transmission, and you definately don't want to be caught with your pants down when your warranty runs out. just my 2c

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, my brand new 08 gti shifts pretty violently also at times. Figured I would wait til 5000 mile check up to tell the dealer, which is only 300 miles away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having an issue with the DSG transmission on my GTI, and I'd appreciate any insights/opinions. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with my car specifically or whether it's idiosyncratic to the transmission, but it seems too pronounced to be the latter, and it's proven to be pretty frustrating/annoying.

In drive mode, the shifting is usually pretty smooth, although every now and then - usually during long periods of stop-and-go driving or when taken off the expressway, the car starts shifting pretty violently into gear - almost like somone tried shifting it without taking the clutch out. It punches when stopping, shifting from 2nd to 1st, and from stopped into first. This isn't any little punch either - it's really loud, and violent enough to shake the whole car and feels like a problem.

I know the GTI isn't designed to be super smooth, so right now I'm trying to figure out the difference between normal and problematic activity. Any response would be appreciated. It's already been bench tested at the dealer and they said it was acting normally, but of course, I couldn't get it to do what it's been doing that day.

Thanks!

-Joel
My thoughts were similar, I also thought it was a normal thing the DSG transmission did on the V GTI's; however, curiosity got to me and I took the car in to the dealer. Went on a road test with the Master Mechanic and he said that it was definitely not a normal thing for the transmission to do.
My car has been at the dealer for 7 days and counting (good thing for the free rental provided by the dealer); I called Monday and they explained to me that something called MECATRON or MEGATRON (sounds like a transformer inside my transmission went crazy) was being replaced, and some other transmission parts.
In Conclusion, it is not NORMAL; it is a serious thing, expensive more than anything if you don't have warranty. Gentleman & Ladies make good use of your warranty, don't think twice and use it. You are paying for it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My 2007 FH has almost 15k miles on it now, zero problems with the car. Im sorry for your troubles, up until you started having problems, how did you drive the car? were you running it really hard alot? babying it? daily driving as if it were a regular car that you just used to get from point A to point B?

Doesnt sound like its a regular problem with the DSG. Hope the dealer honors your warrenty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that's not normal.... and im assuming your saying this happens after it warmed up so we cant chalk it up to a cold tranny... i know early in the morning when mine hasnt warmed up its a bit rough but not violent... only when im downshift in tip mode from 2nd to 1st at a relatively high RPM i get a kick but thats expected... but otherwise D is super smooth, and S of course is a bit more jerky cause its meant to be a sporty feel... go to the dealer and ask them to look at it and yes definetly test drive a new GTI and see if it does the same

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2007 FH has almost 15k miles on it now, zero problems with the car. Im sorry for your troubles, up until you started having problems, how did you drive the car? were you running it really hard alot? babying it? daily driving as if it were a regular car that you just used to get from point A to point B?

Doesnt sound like its a regular problem with the DSG. Hope the dealer honors your warrenty.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOE_FAST,

Read your comment.
On my 2007 - I am reaching 20K miles; I take extremely good care of my car 'I am one of those neurotic car lovers'. How do I drive my GTI? Well, it is certainly not a 1990 FORD Taurus, right? Therefore, I just drive normally, like a VW enthusiast, like a GTI enthusiast. I am not racing, not redlining it; I just get in my car and drive, depending on my mood I will occasionally speed.
The transmission on my GTI came with errors! And that's a fact. Good thing yours came error free. However, transmissions, car parts, and VW's sometimes have flaws. Good thing I have warrAnty, and a good ethical-honest relationship with my dealer and they are taking care of my car, I have to say that I am very thankful with them.
Moreover, to keep everyone up-to-date, they changed the megatronic, and the transmission is still doing the same thing; I am supposed to get a status up-date today - let's see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
that's not normal.... and im assuming your saying this happens after it warmed up so we cant chalk it up to a cold tranny... i know early in the morning when mine hasnt warmed up its a bit rough but not violent... only when im downshift in tip mode from 2nd to 1st at a relatively high RPM i get a kick but thats expected... but otherwise D is super smooth, and S of course is a bit more jerky cause its meant to be a sporty feel... go to the dealer and ask them to look at it and yes definetly test drive a new GTI and see if it does the same
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temperature of engine/transmission does not afftect it - it will miss-behave at any temperature. And the violent shifting occurs when slowly driving from 1st to 2nd gear - definitely not at elevated RPM's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts