My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if you guys notice this on your GTIs, but when I fill up my tank, it takes a little while to for the fuel dial to start to move from the full position, but when it starts to move, it moves! Does anyone every notice that? Sometimes after I drive the previous day nd i have a 1/2 tank, the next morning, i have half way to a 1/4 tank. Maybe the neighbors are stealing my gas :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wazzup,
My Neon R/T did the same thing, would get over 200 miles on the first half tank then drop to 100 miles on half tank. My overall mileage always stayed the same however. Ive been told it has something to do with the shape of the tank. (Don't know if this is true.) As long as your mileage is good you shouldn't have to worry. I'm getting over 26 mpg in mixed (enthusiastic) driving and I only have 1400 miles on it.

Go Tribe!! Rock the Sox!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep! I noticed it too but I wouldnt say its a guzzler. It does stay on full a while then drops but like the others if the mileage is on the whole on point then just have to get used to it I guess.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i can usually drive bout 60-70miles highway on a full tank and not register any gas lost. I put that to me toppin up....

other than the extra 60-70miles, i aim for 100miles per 1/4 a tank

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
WaZzAp1101 said:
Sometimes after I drive the previous day nd i have a 1/2 tank, the next morning, i have half way to a 1/4 tank. Maybe the neighbors are stealing my gas :eek:
Did you get your Fast yet? [fish]

·
Registered
94 Posts
In the colder months here in chicago, i get horrible gas milage.

My guys is cause cold air is thicker, dumping more fuel.

Im a gas milage whore too i usualy shift at about 1800 rpms right before the turbo spools up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the colder months here in chicago, i get horrible gas milage.

My guys is cause cold air is thicker, dumping more fuel.

Im a gas milage whore too i usualy shift at about 1800 rpms right before the turbo spools up.
Dude turbo saves gas. Your running off exhaust fumes. Free HP.

But my math may be fuzzy I get about 300 miles per tank. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have gotten as good as 400 miles out of a tank. But my avg would be about 350 miles. Oh and I don't drive slow. I am US Military in Germany so my car gets driven. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah im pretty sure everyone here said a little somthin right. as far as i know the shape of the tank does affect your gauge. my gauge is accurate but on my sisters 05 escape she says the first 1/2 tank lasts like a week and the second half is gone in 2 days. and the filler neck thing is also right

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if I'm understanding this right.
So if you don't let your tank fall below half full(of half empty), then you will get better gas mileage? That's what it sounds like to me. How does this make sense?

If that's true, then what do you do?

Fill up more often for less $ and get better mileage?

or

Fill up less often for more $ and get worse mileage?

I know the $ is prob about the same in the end...but I'm talking "per fill up"
Smaller gas purchases seem better to me, but that is just a mental thing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
suppose you have a 10 gallon tank and a 1 gallon filler neck leading to the tank. you get 10mpg. the first half of the tank you would go 60 miles and the second half you go 50 miles thats the gist of it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts