Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a 2002 Gti 337 Edition for sale about 4 hours from my house. its a MkIV, mettalic grey. (all of them are) heres the goods on it

Goods - 116k on the motor, Emusa Full Coilovers, Hks BOV, 3 inch down pipe, neuspeed front and rear sway bar, stewart warner boost gauge, GTI Recaro front and rear seats. BBS Rc wheels with Nitto Tires (90%)

Bads - Cv boots are starting to rip, door panels are pealing, few paint chips on the r32 bumper,

he wants $5,400 for it, should i take it? sounds like a steal.

i was about to buy a 2002 half year edition VR6 for 8k, moonson system, full enterior re done in GLI format, few other mods.

116k on the motor and it drives like a champ. it has been slightly modded like emusa full coilovers, hks bov,3 inch down pipe,neuspeed front and rear sway bar, stewart warner boost gauge. also the car comes stock with gti recaro front and rear seats, bbs rc wheels with nitto tires(90%). now a couple of bads, the cv boots are starting to rip so they will need to be changed soon, on the front door panels the material is coming off and the rears have already fell off. the body doesnt really have any damage besides the r32 front bumper has paint chips and a spot on the lower right side that broke off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
with the little problemsi would talk the guy into something around 5,000 but it is not a bad deal just look at some reviews and repairs needed or like timing belt changes and stuff to make sure you dont buy it then throw crap loads of money ito it on that stuff

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
are the CV boots expensive? and are they a pain to change?
easy to do and i paid $60 at autozone for my driver side axle

they do sell rebuild kits if you want to do that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, so there decently cheap. but i would rather work on it my self, get me more familarized with the GTI's, im a new mechanic as it is, and going from Muscle cars to German GTI's is going to be a major swap haha. but yea i'll see how it goes, right now he said he has somone looking at it on wednesday but he has backed out before and is going to let me know what happens. so cross the fingers!

·
Registered
963 Posts
okay, so there decently cheap. but i would rather work on it my self, get me more familarized with the GTI's, im a new mechanic as it is, and going from Muscle cars to German GTI's is going to be a major swap haha. but yea i'll see how it goes, right now he said he has somone looking at it on wednesday but he has backed out before and is going to let me know what happens. so cross the fingers!
atta boy jump in with both legs crossed!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Don't get Autozone (or any other store) axles. They're cheap Chinese ripoffs and will break VERY quickly on you. Rebuild that OEM axle, it's worth about 8 times as much as the chinese and will last a lot longer. You can get CV boot kits for about $40 or so total (inner and outer).

If you do go with the chinese crap, make sure you do NOT give them your OEM axle. Get it rebuilt and sell it or hang on to it. Believe me, the German axles are 1000 times better.

If the OEM axle is shot, go with a Raxles replacement. They have OEM replacements that are MUCH better than the Chinese **** and are not too much more (+-150 or less). Good luck with the purchase!! :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Don't get Autozone (or any other store) axles. They're cheap Chinese ripoffs and will break VERY quickly on you. Rebuild that OEM axle, it's worth about 8 times as much as the chinese and will last a lot longer. You can get CV boot kits for about $40 or so total (inner and outer).

If you do go with the chinese crap, make sure you do NOT give them your OEM axle. Get it rebuilt and sell it or hang on to it. Believe me, the German axles are 1000 times better.

If the OEM axle is shot, go with a Raxles replacement. They have OEM replacements that are MUCH better than the Chinese **** and are not too much more (+-150 or less). Good luck with the purchase!! :)
He's got a point. I blew an axle launching at 4500 rpms... When the GTI was bone stock...

You said Raxles?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
He's got a point. I blew an axle launching at 4500 rpms... When the GTI was bone stock...

You said Raxles?
thats your problem, y would you launch at 4500 rpm

all your going to get is wheel spin

i have been running $40 axle on my driver side for 3yrs now with no problems

i launch at 3k rpm or less depending on the tires/wheels i have on the car

·
Registered
963 Posts
thats your problem, y would you launch at 4500 rpm

all your going to get is wheel spin

i have been running $40 axle on my driver side for 3yrs now with no problems

i launch at 3k rpm or less depending on the tires/wheels i have on the car
Well the wheel spin was sort of planned.. I always roll start now... And feather the pedal =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how often do you guys bottom out, i got a lowered s-10 extreme, not slammed like i will the GTI, but its about 5 inches off the ground, and i bottomed out going over a mountain like speed bump, and my side effect popped out, and pulling up to a hotel on a trip, the slant caught my front spoiler an now im attempting to push it back out so the person that's going to buy it won't notice it. ;)

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Me, like 50 times a day.

But I like riding low

I got bags do I can raise my car when I need to

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts