Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to enable the MFD to display the speed of the car? I love the MFD but I can't for the life of me figure out why VW left out the option of displaying the current speed when it displays so much other information? I just think it would be easier to read than the tiny stripings on the analog speedometer.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you want to see the speed displayed on the MFD, you can set a speed warning and your speed will flash up there, but that's inefficient and it probably isn't exactly what you're looking for.

However, there is another trick, if and only if you have dual zone climate control. Hold the ECON button and at the same time, the button that makes the air blow UP. This will make the two screens that usually display the temperature, display some funky numbers. When you have this, turn the drivers side temperature to -19. Then, turn the middle dial 1 click to the right, so you should see -191 on the drivers side temperature. The passengers side temperature will show your speed. This number is actually a WHOLE lot more accurate than what the speedometer says, I checked it with GPS. Once you pass 100, the numbers start to blink.

It really isn't complicated to figure out, but if you don't understand it, I can post pictures of the step by step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have actually tried that trick and for me, the display is terribly inaccurate. We have school zone signs all over here that have built in radar display of your speed and even at 20 mph, this trick shows my speed is off by as much as 15mph. I wonder if having 18" wheels has something to do with it or if your mph is not actually what is being displayed.

Either way, sad news about the MPH on the MFD. Crap.

·
Registered
857 Posts
well for me at least, I can confirm that it is indeed my correct speed because i used a GPS to see which was more accurate, and the temperature screen was almost dead on.

sorry it doesn't work for you :-\

Anybody with a vagcom know if the speed can be displayed on the MFD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoopmeister said:
I have actually tried that trick and for me, the display is terribly inaccurate. We have school zone signs all over here that have built in radar display of your speed and even at 20 mph, this trick shows my speed is off by as much as 15mph. I wonder if having 18" wheels has something to do with it or if your mph is not actually what is being displayed.

Either way, sad news about the MPH on the MFD. Crap.
I have used it and mine is accurate with 18" wheels.
Make sure U use 19.1 displayed for MPH as 19.0 is KMH

·
Registered
6 Posts
This trick is really neat esp when u have another car enthusiast in the passenger seat that cant see the speedometer. Anyone know what all the other ones do such as like 17.1 or like 13.3? or anyone know of a website that says all the other ones?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i use to have all of them listed but my mom decided to crash my computer one day to make it run like new and i lost EVERYTHING... :-\

·
Registered
223 Posts
Seing as it requires the Display from the dual climate controll....no it is not possible unless you have the dual climate controlls.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Climatronic advanced display mode - actual speed

If you want to see the speed displayed on the MFD, you can set a speed warning and your speed will flash up there, but that's inefficient and it probably isn't exactly what you're looking for.

However, there is another trick, if and only if you have dual zone climate control. Hold the ECON button and at the same time, the button that makes the air blow UP. This will make the two screens that usually display the temperature, display some funky numbers. When you have this, turn the drivers side temperature to -19. Then, turn the middle dial 1 click to the right, so you should see -191 on the drivers side temperature. The passengers side temperature will show your speed. This number is actually a WHOLE lot more accurate than what the speedometer says, I checked it with GPS. Once you pass 100, the numbers start to blink.

It really isn't complicated to figure out, but if you don't understand it, I can post pictures of the step by step.
after you do this do you just hit the econ button to exit? and it stays that way till you decide to change it? or does it change back everytime you restart the car, thanks
yes, yes until you cut power, yes
also, when changing back and forth between advanced display and normal, the system retains the last selected advanced display mode

1 - 14 of 14 Posts