Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2008 4dr in black w/ dsg. the car is fantastic but i would love to know if a 4 wheel drive system can be added.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Daddy GTI said:
i have a 2008 4dr in black w/ dsg. the car is fantastic but i would love to know if a 4 wheel drive system can be added.
Sell it and buy an R32.

It would cost you around $15,000 for a 4motion conversion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. i was hoping it would be cheaper. got caught in the snow/slush in new jersey this morning and the car did not respond well. i still have the factory performance tires on but will switch to winter tires.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Although the AWDs are fun from a stop, I don't like the loss in high-end power. I've never personally experienced it in two identical cars (except for AWD vs FWD/ RWD trans), but I couldn't dream of losing the high-end in the reflashed GTI. I love having plenty of pull at 90+ mph. I still need to top this puppy out! >:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply. I agree that sacrificing the top end is not worth it. To be more specific, the traction control worked well. I was concerned though with the way the car easily skidded in the slush when I hit the brakes. I previously drove an audi A6 with quattro and did not experience nearly that much slipping.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You may have to re-learn how to drive in the snow since you're coming from an A6. FWD is a little different. In any case, you don't really 'need' all wheel drive. I live in upstate NY where we get tons of lake effect snow. I have no problems at all driving my Fast in a blizzard even with the all seasons. Just take it easy on the throttle and allow plenty of time to stop. The End...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts