Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! thanks again for being so helpful! I just bought my mk5 2 days ago and i'm still just getting settled in.

I had a quick question: the car came with an iPod dock in the glove box, but my gf and I both use android. The dealer said that the connector in the back of the head unit was just a 3.5mm jack and that the cable was just a 3.5mm to a iPod connector. Is this true? do I simply need to get behind the head unit and just switch the cable? or is there more to it than that.

Thanks again for all your help!

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
does the ipod connector charge the battery as well? if so I doubt it's just a 3.5mm

·
Registered
629 Posts
It charges ipods. I doubt it's as simple as that. I too would like to find out if we can just use a headphone jack because I'd like to use my android as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 08 gti that came with the base model head unit (no screen). Mine also came with an ipod dock. I changed out my head unit for a nicer one so i have the stock one sitting on the floor next to my desk and i can tell you for sure that there is not a 3.5 mm jack in the back of it. The wiring for the ipod dock goes straight into the wire harness with everything else. The only other thing on the back of the head unit is the radio and sat antenna connectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Sublimeload, did you figure out a solution to this? I also have an Android with the iPod dock in the center console but I always have an aftermarket satnav system that has an iPod cable hook up in the glove box.

Anyone have any advice on how to turn that into an AUX plugin? I went to blitzsafe but I have no idea which one I need.

Thanks in advance

/flipd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts