Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;D

Ok, so after spending the last couple of weeks contemplating my options for interfacing my iPod with my new GTI, I almost pushed the button on a new head unit last night when I decided to have one last look around my car. Inside the glove box, on the top, closest to the passenger side door, I see a white rectangle with what looks like a 3.5mm plug opening in the center. I jokingly think to myself, "if only it was that easy." So, today I went to Walmart and purchased a $5 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, just to satisfy the "what if" in my head before buying a new head unit. Came home, plugged my iPod into that little white rectangle in my glove box and what do you know. It works. I can even control the volume on my steering wheel still, but I have to change tracks using the iPod itself. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I didn't realize the GTI's came with this aux-input already in the car. ...not that I wouldn't like a new head unit, maybe even with video capabilities, but if this does the trick for now, thats another $300 or so that can go toward things like an intake and chip >:D

EDIT* Checked the window sticker and sure enough, its just me thats stupid. The sticker states that an aux-input has been added as an option at no additional charge. If only I'd know this 2 weeks ago. ::)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just so you know, you wouldn't have needed a new head unit anyway nor would I recommend an aftermarket on.

There is a vw speciallty kit for ipods installed by vw. I don't know about this hook up your referring to so I can't confirm it for all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keebs23 said:
Just so you know, you wouldn't have needed a new head unit anyway nor would I recommend an aftermarket on.

There is a vw speciallty kit for ipods installed by vw. I don't know about this hook up your referring to so I can't confirm it for all.
...lol HAHA.. Serious? The VW "speciality kit" doesn't have a great reputation. It would honestly be the LAST option I'd consider. First would be an Alpine head unit and second would be the DICE. The VW "speciality kit" is $170 IF I install it myself and provides no real functionanility at the head unit. A brand new, after market head unit can be had for slightly more than that $170, which provides great functionality at the head unit itself, for iPod control.

The fact that this car was already equipped with the aux-in in the glove box and my dealer was clueless about it, doesn't impress me either. This Aux-in is great for now, because I don't have to spend any money. It might eventually require an upgrade though as it doesn't charge my iPod and I think the sound quality might be lacking just slightly. Its not bad though. I'm happy for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sup fellas, hey man, i got the cable and the charger and everything but when i plug in the cable into the ipod, nothing happens, :-[ there's no aux button on the radio faceplate, how do i make the ipod play do i need to swith to FM, AM, or could the cable be bad? (it's brand new Belkin) i have the 6 CD changer/SAT radio, is it supposed to start playing once you connect the ipod?? please help, thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
i did the same thing this last sunday, and a quick call to my sales person remidied the problem..you need to press the CD button on your radion twice, that will switch it to AUX mode and you can play your iPod through the stereo system. BTW, i think the sound quality in the GTI is better than my friends iPod connection in her 2006 BMW 325i. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
*Runs to car to see if he has this too*

EDIT:
In my car, there's a light where that AUX-IN jack is for you... damnit.

*Is dissappointed*

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to move the audio aux in jack from the glove box to somewhere in the console. I'd like to have my iPod close at hand and not have to drive with the glove box open. I'll probably have to take it to a car audio shop that does custom installs. This little thing is a slight deal breaker for me in my purchase. Everything in this car is perfect, but they go and do this? Every other manufacturer has their jacks in the console or the radio. Hope VW changes this soon before I purchase my GTI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sure you can move that thing any where you want. But you will have to disassemble the entire dashboard and extend the cable behing that jack. Then of course you will have to mount the jack on the dashboard and reconnect it to the cable. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
690 Posts
GTfly said:
is it possible to install this on an 06 GTI in the same location it is in the glove box?
An iPod connector was an option on the '06, so there's definately some kind of aux. input on the back of the radio. I asked a tech about this when I was at the dealership the other day and he said it could be done, but it would be cost prohibitive. I was going to ask him to order me the connector and box for the glove compartment, but I had to run out to Costco in a hurry to try and score a Nintendo Wii.

My guess is that for a nominal fee, any auto sound place would be able to do it for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
*Runs to car to see if he has this too*

EDIT:
In my car, there's a light where that AUX-IN jack is for you... damnit.

*Is dissappointed*
Mine too but having 6 MP3 cds is good enough for me, id rather have the light ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.