Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Didnt see this previously posted when I searched)

So yes, you read the title right. Its a digital dyno on your iPhone.
My buddy and I tested this program out tonight, and WOW.

I have to say it is nothing short of amazing.
We did a few tests.

To start off, this program will give you:

Performance Measurements
  • 0-60 MPH
  • Other Speed Tests (0-10 MPH through 0-100 MPH in 10MPH increments)
  • Quarter Mile Elapsed Time
  • Quarter Mile Trap Speed
  • Elapsed Time and Trap Speed for standard intervals (60', 330', 1/8 Mi, 1000')
  • Lateral G's (current and peak)
  • Braking G's (current and peak)
  • Wheel Horsepower
  • Estimated Engine Horsepower
Results Presentation
  • Realtime Speedometer and Graphs
  • Realtime graphical skidpad display
  • View results for latest test run or any saved run
  • View averages based on vehicle, date, or modification
  • Compare results between vehicles, dates, or before-and-after modifications
Configuration
  • Rollout 0" to 24" (separate settings for 0-60 and Quarter Mile tests)
  • Stores vehicle weight and drivetrain efficiency in your vehicle's profile
  • Calibration routine gets the maximum accuracy possible with the built-in accelerometers
Accuracy
  • 0-60 MPH: +/- 0.08 sec*
  • Quarter Mile: +/- 0.10 sec*, +/- 1.5 MPH*
*Results based on preliminary testing. A detailed accuracy analysis using professional timing equipment at a regulation dragstrip will be posted soon.

My experiance with this program:

It was awesome and fun.
So you basically have different profiles, for different cars.
We setup his and my car. Enter the estimated weight and powertrain loss and you're good to go.
You can then calibrate the iPhone, set it in your cup holder and then hit start and it'll tell you everything you want to know.

Unfortunately I do not have an iPhone right now, so I can not give more in depth details, but please post if you have used this or have it and let us know!!

0-60 in my GTI from a dead stop and no launch was 7 seconds.
Peak horse power 225.
I forget the other stats.

We then tested his 2005.5 S4:
340 Wheel horsepower
.99 lateral G's

The program is $12 I believe but is soo worth it!

Here is the website:
http://www.dynolicious.com/index.html

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking that your 225hp must've been at the crank right? any mods to your car?
Nah, no mods. It's not a perfect system of course. Being it is an iPhone, but it was within 2mph of my actual speed read on my speedometer. My buddy's horsepower was definitely in range.

Now, when I bought my car a month ago. The detail dude (younger than me, and I'm 21) had said the TSI engine actually makes more than 200hp. I know very little about this engine and it came as a suprise to my buddy who was with me too. I popped the hood and here it is, a TSI engine, never heard about it before and still am very clueless on its difference to the FSI. I understand its a timing chain now? Something with the valves?

Does anyone have some real numbers about a stock '08 TSI engine? I'm still very curious and intrigued.

· Registered
27 Posts
I watched a video on youtube comparing the two (link below) and they compared it to a professional dyno run and quarter mile run and it was pretty accurate. It blew the g-tech away with its easy and its a lot cheaper for only $13 for the many of us that already have an iphone or touch.

Link to the video:

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
109 Posts
found 2 free apps for Android smartphones, "aDyno" & "Dyno Reader for TFLN (Texts From Last Night RSS Feed)". Haven't tried them yet, just looked for 1 because I saw this post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.