Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! :)
06 GTi MKV
6 spd manual
Candy White
Moon Roof
Autobahn Leather
Climatronic
APR stage 1 (stock, 91, 93 + all options) Money well spent!

Bought her with 1 previous owner about 6 weeks ago; been reading this forum religiously...

Since I have the limelight for a minute-
wISH lIST:
-boost guage
-rubber moster mats
-fast valve stem caps
-fast license plate frames (need front and back in NY)
-fast emblem for hatch
-smoke tail lights/mirror blinkers/side markers
-interior leds under dash
-lower 1-1/4" + suspension upgrade
-generally I downshift, but since I bought APR yesterday I find myself braking much harder :eek:
-aluminum climatronic/mirror adjust
-drool...

Ok so, I'm on the interstate driving home, radio blaring, in the pouring rain, and my windows are fogging up bad. I turn on my rear-window defroster and suddenly I hear pure static. Found this odd since there is no effect when playing a cd. Tried Search, no luck. Not sure if it's normal to completely lose radio signal with the rear defroster ON? What could be causing this? I know this question is a bit odd, but it's my inspiration to join, so don't be hatin'. :cool:
I have faith that somebody here can answer this question.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This happens every time the radio is on and I press the rear defroster. I can recreate this problem indefinitely. Strange that it is only the rear and not the front.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So it's just the regular FM radio correct? Do you have Sat Radio? If so does it go static too?

Unfortunately I'm new to the GTI's and VW's myself but from what other people are having problems with (Other makes like honda...HAHA) they are saying that the Antenna and Rear Defroster are connected or are very close to each other (sometimes they are the same). I don't think that this is a problem with the MKV's but I'm no sure. I'd check with the Dealership or wait and see if someone here knows more about the antenna's or rear defrosters on here. The other question I have is that it's still the Stock CD player that came with it right? Cause I know in some vehicles that if the power is split or interconnected to another part (Such as a cigarette lighter) and you turn it on/plug it in then it creates too much current/noise (in a sense) and the lower end devices (Such as the radio antenna) gets affected like how you described.

That's my two cents and I'll look into it more when I get a chance, for the specifics on the GTI's (since I need to call the dealership myself for the 90 day or earlier check up).

Hope that helps and Welcome for sure, I hope we all can help you,
[hail vw]
Degalle
(Just thought, so it would more than likely be in the dash where the button/radio is or near the actual antenna)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the input Degalle.
Yes, it's the stock fm radio.
No, I don't pay for SAT radio but I will test it on the free channels tomorrow.
I have no other mods besides APR. Nothing plugged into the 12v slot.

My first thought, being a technical person, was that the antenna and rear defroster were sharing a power source and the defroster was taking precedence thus rendering the antenna useless.
However, seeing as how noone else shares this problem I am now just confused.
Can anyone confirm their MKV radio doesn't go static with the rear defroster on?

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Mine works fine with the defroster on. Maybe there is some issue with the wiring?

Hail Mary: Try unscrewing your antenna and putting it back on, it'll take 30secs. sort of a 'turn your computer off/on again' solution. I know nothing about auto electrical systems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried it on mine and it also works fine w/ the defroster on (AM, FM, and SAT). I did notice a clicking sound coming from behind the dash when turning the defroster on/off kinda like a relay switching. Maybe it's wired incorrectly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.