Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
4401 - 4420 of 4491 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
I prefer my German car to be assembled in Germany, but everyone has different preferences.
You are entitled to your opinion. But weren't the mk5 assembled in like 5 different countries depending on the model and market? Either way I'll take the car with the larger lighter body and better engine/turbo over where it was assembled. Kind of wish i had held out and bought a mk7 over my mk6 since prices for them have plummeted. I mean they're making k04 numbers with the stock is20 turbo

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

· Registered
10 Posts
Except the fact that it's assembled in Mexico.
Good to know, but to be honest that wouldn't really bother me especially seeing as any VW is going to be a good upgrade from my current car. I'm more interested in general long term driving experience from someone who may have done regular commutes as well as weekend 'fun' driving.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

· Registered
17 Posts
Good to know, but to be honest that wouldn't really bother me especially seeing as any be is going to be a good upgrade from my current car. I'm more interested in general long term driving experience from someone who may have done regular commutes as well as weekend 'fun' driving.

Mk7 has more hp and better tq curve. They're lighter and roomier than the mk5/6. Mk5 fsi's tend to burn through some oil as well. Known issue to go through a qt every 1200miles. If you get a tsi mk5 then you had the timing tensioner issues like the early mk6 tsi's.

· Registered
4,632 Posts
I have a combined total of 218k miles between a MKV and a MKVI and the MKV has had fewer issues. Keep your oil topped up and cam follower checked frequently and the FSI can be bullet proof. The MKVI interior is the best of all generations, including the mkvii. The mkvii has more hard plastics and isn’t really old enough to see how it wears, but you can definitely tell they cut spending. I personally didn’t buy a two door hatchback for its roominess, but either way, I just hauled some 8’ lumber in my MKVI last weekend, so I can’t complain with the spacing. The MKVII is faster out the door, but at the end of the day, it’s still fwd and limited by that platform.

All MKV GTI’s were assembled in Wolfsburg. The MKV GLI on the other hand was assembled in Mexico and it’s noticeably cheaper feeling.

At 129k miles, haven’t had timing tensioner issues with my 2011 MKVI.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a combined total of 218k miles between a MKV and a MKVI and the MKV has had fewer issues. Keep your oil topped up and cam follower checked frequently and the FSI can be bullet proof. The MKVI interior is the best of all generations, including the mkvii. The mkvii has more hard plastics and isn't really old enough to see how it wears, but you can definitely tell they cut spending. I personally didn't buy a two door hatchback for its roominess, but either way, I just hauled some 8' lumber in my MKVI last weekend, so I can't complain with the spacing. The MKVII is faster out the door, but at the end of the day, it's still fwd and limited by that platform.

All MKV GTI's were assembled in Wolfsburg. The MKV GLI on the other hand was assembled in Mexico and it's noticeably cheaper feeling.

At 129k miles, haven't had timing tensioner issues with my 2011 MKVI.
Thanks for this, all useful stuff. I think I'm slowly leaning towards mkVI or mkVII, partly because of the more modern interior, and also for the more 'set and forget' nature of a newer car
While I'm comfortable carrying out maintenance such as oil changes and cam follower etc, I'd love it of course if I didn't need to worry about it.
My only concern with the mkVI is that i might end up wishing I'd just gone for the mkVII as there's a relatively small price difference, and the looks & styling of the mkVII is definitely ahead for me personally

· Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this, all useful stuff. I think I'm slowly leaning towards mkVI or mkVII, partly because of the more modern interior, and also for the more 'set and forget' nature of a newer car
While I'm comfortable carrying out maintenance such as oil changes and cam follower etc, I'd love it of course if I didn't need to worry about it.
My only concern with the mkVI is that i might end up wishing I'd just gone for the mkVII as there's a relatively small price difference, and the looks & styling of the mkVII is definitely ahead for me personally

Test drive both. I've driven all three cars. I'd say get the mk7. If i could take it back i'd have waited and gotten the mk7. It's just a better built car. I have a stage 2 mk6 now and i love it but I'd definitely take the better engine, chassis, and turbo car if prices aren't too far apart.

· Registered
4,632 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by modern interior, but oil changes are something you'll have to worry about no matter what car you choose. Every generation has its quirks. Make sure a VW is what you really want because they are not "set and forget" cars.

· Registered
4,632 Posts
Test drive both. I've driven all three cars. I'd say get the mk7. If i could take it back i'd have waited and gotten the mk7. It's just a better built car. I have a stage 2 mk6 now and i love it but I'd definitely take the better engine, chassis, and turbo car if prices aren't too far apart.

Bottom line, if you like the features and aesthetics of the MKVII the most, get that one. But don't think that you're getting more reliability by choosing a newer generation. It may still have a warranty, so that's good, but if it's got issues it just means you'll be spending more time at the dealer.

· Registered
17 Posts
Bottom line, if you like the features and aesthetics of the MKVII the most, get that one. But don't think that you're getting more reliability by choosing a newer generation. It may still have a warranty, so that's good, but if it's got issues it just means you'll be spending more time at the dealer.
Out of curiousity what are the major issues the mk7 has been having. I know the mk5 fsi had the oil consumption issue and cam followr issues. The mk5 abd mk6 tsi has the tensioner issue and water pump issues. Anything consistently wrong with the mk7?

· Registered
4,632 Posts
Out of curiousity what are the major issues the mk7 has been having. I know the mk5 fsi had the oil consumption issue and cam followr issues. The mk5 abd mk6 tsi has the tensioner issue and water pump issues. Anything consistently wrong with the mk7?

I don't have a MKVII, so I can't tell you off hand, but google it and I'm sure you'll find something. It's a VW, but besides that, it's a car and stuff breaks. We aren't comparing a MKI to a MKVII, so reliability isn't going to fluctuate that significantly from MKV to MKVII. Sure MKV's are older, so they'll tend to have more problems, but at this point, we know what to expect. The MKVII on the other hand is still pretty new so we don't know how they'll hold up long term.

TSI has more issues than the FSI, so newer does not equal better.

· Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, definitely helps. I'm popping into my local be dealer to arrange a test drive tomorrow on a mkVII. I'm expecting that when I test drive it I'll be sold on it but you never know. Perhaps I'd overestimated the reliability of the car but of course there will always be things to do. I'll probably post my opinion here, and hopefully you may see me around on the forum once I get my hands on one, thanks again.

· Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, definitely helps. I'm popping into my local be dealer to arrange a test drive tomorrow on a mkVII. I'm expecting that when I test drive it I'll be sold on it but you never know. Perhaps I'd overestimated the reliability of the car but of course there will always be things to do. I'll probably post my opinion here, and hopefully you may see me around on the forum once I get my hands on one, thanks again.

What years? Early years had different power levels depending on the model.

· Registered
10 Posts
What years? Early years had different power levels depending on the model.

I'd be looking at '14 and '15 most likely, purely because of my price range. While I could always stretch for a '16 or '17, I haven't seen the need yet as long as I can get a '14 with lower mileage. Facelift would definitely be out of the question as I'm trying to be somewhat reasonable, and to be honest I prefer the front bumper of the pre-facelift

· Registered
17 Posts
I'd be looking at '14 and '15 most likely, purely because of my price range. While I could always stretch for a '16 or '17, I haven't seen the need yet as long as I can get a '14 with lower mileage. Facelift would definitely be out of the question as I'm trying to be somewhat reasonable, and to be honest I prefer the front bumper of the pre-facelift

They have 2014 mk7 gti's in the US?

I thought the earliest year was 2015

You're overseas aren't you?

4401 - 4420 of 4491 Posts