Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know if this has already been mentioned, but does the car have an automatic timer built in to cool off the engine? Almost everytime i turn the key off the main bulk of the engine turns off, but you still hear a section of it running for maybe 5 or so seconds. Just wondering in ne1 knew nemore. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
well I never listend so closley but it could be the turbine which turns very fast and needs some time to stop. Just a thought

·
Registered
690 Posts
clavos said:
My vote goes to the turbine slowing down also.
Naa, I'm going with the electric radiator fan. It'll stay on for a bit after the car shuts off because it's still reading the engine temp above threshold.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I believe it is an oil pump, that you hear. From my understanding it also comes on when you initially open the drivers door to prevent dry starting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fast Freddie said:
I believe it is an oil pump, that you hear. From my understanding it also comes on when you initially open the drivers door to prevent dry starting.
that.. is the fuel pump priming..

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I keep hearing some kind of electro-mechanical sound (like the sound of power seats moving, if the car had em, or a side mirror adjusting) whenever I open the drivers door.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That sound is definitely the turbo winding down. I had my girlfriend turn off the car while I was outside the car to locate it. That sound actually means that you didn't allow for enough time for the turbo to wind/cool down. If you don't mind sitting in the heat you can turn off the air conditioning and it will spool down a little quicker (1 min. vs. 2 min.). I'm getting a turbo timer installed to prevent turning the car off to quickly and the coking that occurs as a result. This is my first turbo boosted car so I was suprised by the noise myself too. I never heard anything like it come from any other car. As far as brand and type of turbo timer, HKS has a turbo timer that will automatically shut the car engine off when it has cooled down based on how you drove your car up to the point that you turned off the ignition key. If anyone reading this doesn't know what a turbo timer is it bypasses the turning off of the car so you can walk away while the turbo spools/cools down without you having to be in the car babysitting. Your alarm system and everything still works your car is just still running. Better than sitting in the parking lot of Wal Mart for two minutes when all you really need is a gallon of milk.

·
Registered
857 Posts
plac said:
MattMan said:
That sound is definitely the turbo winding down.
No. its not.

::)
don't mean to be a douchbag, but i felt like this was a bit of a douchebag comment, if its not the turbo, then how about you be a little helpful and tell us what the fuck it is then instead of saying its not and rolling your eyes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
maybe you didn't read his post very clearly, he obviously stated in there that it was his first turbo car. there were many different answers on the first page, if you're such an expert whats the noise coming from.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, first turbo car. Yes! And no one gave any answer that had any backing other than this is my opinion. Given that in politics opinion matters more than facts, when it involves cars the facts are what's needed not some hunch. I investigated the sound and it definitely was coming from the area of the engine bay where the turbo is. Since there is nothing in that area but the turbo that is by all reasoning the only thing it could be.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
the turbo cools down. on some sports cars with big turbos if you run them hard and then shut the car off you will damage them. so i guess with the GTI it just lets them cool down a bit after.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My brother-inlaw works on cars and goes to car shows, races his cars and knows all about the turbos and performance tuning. He told me that you need to let the car cool down before shuting it off so the turbo cools down, otherwise it can mess up the turbo. He told me this with out even hearing that noise its the way the turbo works.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts