Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's a noob question...but, is our MKVI setup with a stock intercooler?

If so, where is it mounted?

If not, has anyone added one and noticed large gains due to cooler temps of pressurized air?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a video on youtube about the APR version intercooler install. Looks like (@ ~2:10 in) that it's behind the radiator in the front of the car.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I know, it's a noob question...but, is our MKVI setup with a stock intercooler?

If not, has anyone added one and noticed large gains due to cooler temps of pressurized air?
Ya its on the passenger side wheel well

·
Registered
10 Posts
...is our MKVI setup with a stock intercooler?

The stock MKVI intercooler is sandwiched between the A/C condenser and the radiator. The incoming airflow hits the condenser first, then the intercooler, then the radiator.

I have the APR intercooler along with stage 2. The car is vastly faster, but I can't say how much the intercooler contributed by itself. In general intercoolers help maintain performance, especially on hotter days.

If your car feels faster on a 40F day vs a 90F day, that illustrates one aspect of an intercooler. It cools the intake charge so it's more dense.

APR has a graph on their web site showing it lowers the intake charge temp an average of 35F over stock: http://www.goapr.com/products/why_mkv_fmic.html

From a bang-for-the-buck standpoint, your first step should be ECU software, such as APR stage 1. Only then consider other engine mods such as intercooler, downpipe, etc.

·
is Afraid of the Dyno
3,504 Posts
Your stock intercooler is fine from stock to STG2. On hot days in traffic you'll notice the heat soak.
You only really need the upgrade if you have a turbo bigger than a KO3 or are running an agressive STG2+ tune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.