My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a lame question for all of you who know soooo much more than I but that's how we learn:

What would be the benefit of bolting on a performance intercooler (Forge, ABD etc..) with the stock turbo?

I was just talking with a "salesman" at a new performance shop and he was pushing just a bit too hard that an aftermarket intercooler will keep even the stock motor much , much cooler. He said it would greatly improve performance (not sure what that means as he had no stats to quote) and the longevity of engine. Being that the part alone was about $600 (without the connections) I passed for now.

It seems to me that a new intercooler would just add weight (not much I know). Without upgrading to a stage 2 or 3 turbo a new intercooler is pretty unecessary is it not? My fast runs very cool to begin with.

I await your thoughts and opinions.........

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, it would keep your engine a ton cooler, and anything that keeps the engine cooler is a good thing. That in itself will give you more consistent performance. I was talking to my VW dealer about mods, and he said he'd actually recommend that. Still, I'll be going for the TBE, chip, intake setup first.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with you........I am getting my TBE tomorrow, (I can't sleep I'm so excited!!) and the GIAC flash middle of next week. I am pretty sure I'll change up the suspension, wheels and rubber (especially since my dealer pulled a switch on me and I don't have Connie's) before I do the intercooler, but I will probably still do it when the budget allows. I don't think I will upgrade the turbo at this point. I am too concerned about burning the flame of my FAST too hot. I don't know if I have the order right....but its the best I have pulled together from the plethora of info in these threads.

·
Registered
280 Posts
mhk24 said:
yeah, am waiting the answer too, but can someone tell me more about the TBE? i haven't heard about it yet
Search search search! ;) There's multiple threads dedicated to exhausts...tons of info there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts