Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my neuspeed intake in and it sounds great. I feel more power and it sounds like a blowoff vavle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
new speed sounds awsome with the chipping u can really hear the engine suck the air in.. was revving up with my friend hovering her hand above intake.... sucked her hand down to it :) mmmm CHIP.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
alexjhill said:
new speed sounds awsome with the chipping u can really hear the engine suck the air in.. was revving up with my friend hovering her hand above intake.... sucked her hand down to it :) mmmm CHIP.....
Sounds awesome

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
alexjhill said:
haha awesome!!!. i am going to get the Revo chip sooner or later but should i get the intake with it???

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i went to the V-DUB dealer and the person in head of the service department told me that if you have a cold air intake and you get it wet it will destroy the engine. i like in florida and it likes to rain heavily practically every damn day. so if i got a cold air intake could it possible destroy the engine if it gets wet?? he told me mainly if i hit a puddle all the water would get sucked into the engine and i would have to get a new engine and pay out of my own pocket.

·
Registered
398 Posts
GTI MKV said:
i went to the V-DUB dealer and the person in head of the service department told me that if you have a cold air intake and you get it wet it will destroy the engine. i like in florida and it likes to rain heavily practically every damn day. so if i got a cold air intake could it possible destroy the engine if it gets wet?? he told me mainly if i hit a puddle all the water would get sucked into the engine and i would have to get a new engine and pay out of my own pocket.
That puddle would have to be the size of Lake Okeechobee. Just stay out of water the height of your intake. This is the same concept that people in the off-road world who put intakes on their vehicles that suck air from above the roof so they can forge rivers, etc. I don't foresee this as a problem. However, I'm not responsible for your driving habits ;D

I'm thinking about getting one as soon as I can justify a $200 intake. O0

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont think that puddles would be a problem either... there are some cars with the intakes that go to near the oil filter on the bottom of the engine, and in those I could see a potential issue from splashes, but where the GTI's would be placed I think your safe... if you are really worried, AEM makes a filter to their intakes that prevents water from getting sucked in, as they dont make an intake for the GTI, maybe you can buy it as a standalone part and have it plumbed into whatever intake you get except the carbio where there is no space to plumb it in... but really, you dont have to worry...

http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp?subCatID=3

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Myth about CIA's making a motor more likley to hydro lock comes from some old cars where piping was routed to the lower fender wells and other low areas in the car. A more open intake will increase your chances of sucking in water. But its very unlikley that any of the CIA's out for the GTI would be anymore likely to take a drink then the stock intake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't really see the point of getting a cold air intake on a turbo charged/intercooled car. The air heats up so much when it goes through the turbo it most likely doesn't matter if it is a little bit cooler when it hits the turbo. The air is probably going to be the same temperature as if it was sucked from the engine compartment. I think that horsepower gains are going to be through an upgraded intercooler. If there was an advantage over an engine compartment location over a cold air it would most likely be from a standstill, because then the cold air would be sucking colder air than that from the engine compartment. That is probably how the manufacturer's get better horsepower numbers off the dyno with the cold air (You ever wonder why a short intake can cost $75 and a cold air can cost you $250? If you think that you are gaining an extra 10 - 15 hp what is a $175 more to stand in your way?). In the real world at speed the numbers are probably closer together or the same because the air in the engine compartment will be cooler and closer to outside temperatures. I'd say get an engine compartment intake and get a heat shield for it if you are that concerned about temperatures. That should also save you some money and the headache of worrying about sucking water into the engine over the cold air intake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Its not just heat about a CAI that you buy it for... its breathability. If it takes the engine less work to pull it in it uses less HP up doing it. Mabye not noticable at the pedal but you will at the track. I put a CAI on my 96 dodge stratus and not only did i notice a performance change but a better sound and better gas mileage... i would get about 28mpg with a bad o2 sensor. before it i was getting about 17mpg with the old box. I will get a CAI soon just cant justify it right now. need my v1 first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
agreed... you can have the air cool as ice, but if its not flowing what good is a nice intercooler... gotta have the right plumbing...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was browsing around today and ran across this bad boy from Simota Racing Sports. They also have this one. I emailed to ask about prices/distributors but havent heard back...two nice-looking intakes that will work with the OEM cover ;D I'll let you guys know when I hear something...

·
Registered
89 Posts
hey wutsup guys! im getin my new fast tomorow and was wondering : is it really true that u get more outa a chip once u do things before.. like i only want intake and chip for now.. if i do intake first instead of toehr way around its that much more of a difference?? intake and warrenty thats another question ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes this is true with any car, you get the air in kwik and fart it out smoothly the more your car will react to the performance up grades , like chip ,cams, fuel,etc.................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.