Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out some of the tail lights available for the MK5 and they look much better than the stock ones. Has anyone done a DYI on replacing them? if so how easy or difficult was it? I would imagine this would require changing all the light bulbs, etc etc. Please let me know what you guys have done or might do with the tail lights.

- Eddie
2008 Black Magic

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
:WELCOME6:

well, heavent done a swap on my gti yet, but have changed them out on other cars. no, you wouldnt need to replace bulbs, unless u got a clear blinker, then you would have to get some amber bulbs, or those cool chrome painted ones so it looks good. should be real simple to do. just locate the bolts and take em off, prolly will have to mess around with the trunk liner a little. its always good to be patient and take your time so as not to damage your lights. hope that helped a little. im sure there is a diy around here somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zeonic said:
:WELCOME6:

well, heavent done a swap on my gti yet, but have changed them out on other cars. no, you wouldnt need to replace bulbs, unless u got a clear blinker, then you would have to get some amber bulbs, or those cool chrome painted ones so it looks good. should be real simple to do. just locate the bolts and take em off, prolly will have to mess around with the trunk liner a little. its always good to be patient and take your time so as not to damage your lights. hope that helped a little. im sure there is a diy around here somewhere.
Awesome. So you're saying that the new tail light housing will probably come with the lights already in them? If not I guess changing them from the stock one's shouldn't be too much of a problem

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
eddiebmets said:
Awesome. So you're saying that the new tail light housing will probably come with the lights already in them? If not I guess changing them from the stock one's shouldn't be too much of a problem
well, more likeley then not they wont have any bulbs. but it should be very simple to swap em out. the bulb housing normaly twists in and out of the actual light assembly, you would have to twis it out and put it into the new housing. this was fairly simple to do on my previous projects. just have to lign up the various tabs, pop it in, and twist it to lock in place. some lights may have a thinner wall then stock, so it may not stay in there as tight, or may need some reinforsing, duct tape always does wonders for me O0

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
yup. led is the way to go. unfortunatley, they dont have any led lights that i like. hella are ok, but i dont like all that stuff thats visible. now, if you smoke em so you cant see all the inner detail, then maybe. im pretty happy with the stock lights, they blend in pretty well on my tr. now if vw put those cool leds from the jetta (i think) with the clear inside the red housing, on the gti, that would be sweet. its like our, only the whole sircle lights up when you brake, and then the little donut hole blinks for the turn. or it could be the other way around. still very nice. would tottaly get a set of those O0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.