Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What can I do to increase the lifespan of my gti? Currently I'm on 123,000 miles, 3rd timing belt, 1st clutch. I'm trying to make this baby last until I can afford an MKVI; as long as my life goes as planned, that is. lol. I'm on my 2nd semester of my first year in college, and I need it to last until I major in electrical engineering and get a stable job. So I'd say 6-8 years minimum just to be safe? [I would insert a smiley of a "Geek" here, but there is none]

So far, what I plan on doing is:

1. Tranny/Brake/Power Steering fluid change asap.
2. Oil/Oil Filter every 5k and Cabin Filter every 20-30k
3. Fuel Filter every 30k or so.
4. Installing Eurojet upper/lower PCV breather hoses because mine are duct taped
5. Installing a 42DD Stealth Catch Can and draining every 1-3 weeks depending
6. Full sensor swap at 130k
7. Timing belt/waterpump/accessory belt before 190k

Is there anything I'm missing? Or anything else that would benefit me?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Tire rotation and alignment every 6 months or so. Otherwise your list looks good. There is a maintenance list in the User's handbook that you should follow and by the numbers you listed it looks like you've already foound it. Don't forget Coolant flushes and change your oil around 5K if you use synthetic. 3K for non-synth. Make sure all of your sensors are fresh too. Plan on a full sensor swap at 130K miles. Both o2, coolant, MAF, MAP, TB position sensor, etc...

I've got more miles on my 337 at 128,000 and it's holding strong even though I run The GRiT pretty hard. Everyday is a good day to run it and gun it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire rotation and alignment every 6 months or so. Otherwise your list looks good. There is a maintenance list in the User's handbook that you should follow and by the numbers you listed it looks like you've already foound it. Don't forget Coolant flushes and change your oil around 5K if you use synthetic. 3K for non-synth. Make sure all of your sensors are fresh too. Plan on a full sensor swap at 130K miles. Both o2, coolant, MAF, MAP, TB position sensor, etc...
You can't be serious about 5k oil changes...? I don't push my car on the daily drive lol. I push my car every weekend or so when I hit a few stretches of highway, but that's about it. I pu$$y shift under 3k daily driving. lol.

by "Coolant Flush" do you mean every 70k when I replace my waterpump? or should i be doing that more often? and what about Fuel Filter? do those ever need changing?

and should I spend money on a car manual? I don't have one, and I think they are like $20? I kind've like making google and all of you guys do the hard work for me ;D

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Why would he be kidding about 5k oil changes? It is better for your car as it doe not thin out so much and all that. It does not matter how you drive, it is just better to do it that way. And I would just look it up on google and do some research on questions you are going to ask and then come here and ask. ;)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You can't be serious about 5k oil changes...? I don't push my car on the daily drive lol. I push my car every weekend or so when I hit a few stretches of highway, but that's about it. I pu$$y shift under 3k daily driving. lol.

by "Coolant Flush" do you mean every 70k when I replace my waterpump? or should i be doing that more often? and what about Fuel Filter? do those ever need changing?

and should I spend money on a car manual? I don't have one, and I think they are like $20? I kind've like making google and all of you guys do the hard work for me ;D
^_^ Well it depends on the oil you use but 5K is a good round number for intervals. Some oils are rated for higher miles like 7,500 - 10,000 miles.

Fuel filter should be every 30K unless you use 89 octane in which I would up the interval to maybe 20K. dirtier fuel means more filtering.

And a coolant flush should be done at least once a year to maintain the Ph levels needed to not burn/freeze in the engine. It's not too hard either, totally DIY work.

By manual I was refering to the owners manual that came with the car. It should have a service interval page with the milage and what to service and a place to put info on when/ where serviced. I just made one up in excel and keep it in my glove box.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow i feel like a super noob. i don't even know when to change oil. LOL. i thought it was 30k-50k, not 3-5k. i'm gonna go kill myself right now, brb.

k, i'm back. now i will change my oil and oil fillter [MANN] every 5k. the world is safe now.

and I bought the car used, he never gave me the manual. so I guess I'll excel spreadsheet my sh*t too. lol.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
wow i feel like a super noob. i don't even know when to change oil. LOL. i thought it was 30k-50k, not 3-5k. i'm gonna go kill myself right now, brb.

k, i'm back. now i will change my oil and oil fillter [MANN] every 5k. the world is safe now.

and I bought the car used, he never gave me the manual. so I guess I'll excel spreadsheet my sh*t too. lol.
Mann filters are paper. Get K&N or any other performance filter. Royal Purple makes a good performance filter now. They catch more and flow better.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
catch more and flow better eh? that sounds like a win/win to me. right now i'm on FRAM lol. but i've seen so many things on vortex repping MANN so i'm kinda stuck atm lol.

too bad i already bought the FRAM and I'm changing my oil/filter next week, once I find out how to get under my car...:mad:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
catch more and flow better eh? that sounds like a win/win to me. right now i'm on FRAM lol. but i've seen so many things on vortex repping MANN so i'm kinda stuck atm lol.

too bad i already bought the FRAM and I'm changing my oil/filter next week, once I find out how to get under my car...:mad:
You can always go back and use the credit towards a nicer one.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Go with Mann. They are recommended for our cars and it is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just changed mine. used a fram filter and mobil 1. go on vwvortex for a really good diy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm actually looking into doing a power steering flush and bleeding the brakes myself. I'm in the process of gathering info regarding what fluids and amounts are needed to do the DIY job.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I'm actually looking into doing a power steering flush and bleeding the brakes myself. I'm in the process of gathering info regarding what fluids and amounts are needed to do the DIY job.
Don't bleed the brakes, replace the fluid. It should be done every 3-5 years. Bleeding them just gets out the air bubbles from topping it off during brake services.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I a have always been an avid fan or regular maintainece. It does wonders to help the life and performance of the car. IMO you should make sure that all your regular servive is done before you start moddind, or mod as you do your regular service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What can I do to increase the lifespan of my gti? Currently I'm on 123,000 miles, 3rd timing belt, 1st clutch. I'm trying to make this baby last until I can afford an MKVI; as long as my life goes as planned, that is. lol. I'm on my 2nd semester of my first year in college, and I need it to last until I major in electrical engineering and get a stable job. So I'd say 6-8 years minimum just to be safe? [I would insert a smiley of a "Geek" here, but there is none]

So far, what I plan on doing is:

1. Tranny/Brake/Power Steering fluid change asap.
2. Oil/Oil Filter every 5k and Cabin Filter every 20-30k
3. Fuel Filter every 30k or so.
4. Installing Eurojet upper/lower PCV breather hoses because mine are duct taped
5. Installing a 42DD Stealth Catch Can and draining every 1-3 weeks depending
6. Full sensor swap at 130k
7. Timing belt/waterpump/accessory belt before 190k

Is there anything I'm missing? Or anything else that would benefit me?
Increased life can only occur during stage II+ driving conditions [drive]

·
Registered
763 Posts
Raise car on stands or lift. Remove wheels. Best to have a pressure bleeder for this as otherwise You will need a buddy to pump the brake pedal. Use DOT4 brake fluid approved by VW or a high-performance synthetic ABS fluid (overkill for DD). To be safe, get about 1.5 liters (at least). Pour into bleeder, connect to brake fluid reservoir, pump to required PSI. Always bleed the furthest wheel from the reservoir and move closer = in a MKV rear-right, then rear-left, then front-right, then front-left. To initiate the bleeding You must undo the bleeder screw. Flushing 1.5 liters through the system will get rid of 99% of the old fluid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts