Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I've been cursed since I got my 07 GTI. I love it, i really do but sometimes I wonder if it's a magnet for dumbass people. Here's my history with idiot repair technicians:

As some of you may remember, I was rear ended back in May or June. The collision center that "repaired" it didn't make sure the hatch closed all the way. Secondly, they didn't put the weather stripping on right and it leaked when I washed my car. Then I realized that one of the break lights was accumulating water. This was all eventually fixed. Then another nightmare popped up recently.

I was driving on the freeway last weekend and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. I called a windshield installation service and had them replace the cracked one. After my car had been fitted with the windshield, I went out that evening and had to use the wipers. They didn't function properly. They were erratic and inconsistent. Called the technician back out and the wipers failed to work all together. In his effort to repair what he'd done, he cracked my new replacement windshield! Told the company I wanted a refund and that I was going to expect payment to repair the wipers. They agreed. Took the car to the VW dealership yesterday and had everything fixed. Now it looks like there's a gap at the very top of the windshield where the glass meets the roof.

Now, I have a request from you guys. I don't remember there being a gap. Could you guys/gals check and see if yours has that? I'll take a pic and upload it here so you have something to compare it to. I'm just worried about water leaks. Poured some water over it and I didn't notice any leakage.

Have any of you experienced this much stupidity when getting your car repaired? I'm convinced my car is cursed or I've run into a long string of incompetent people.

I actually had a nightmare about my car last night. :'(

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have felt the same way many times with my car, I had it in 5 times in under 6 months for the same exact problem. First the CEL would come on and then it would go off in about a day or so. (Always before i could get it into the dealer). I took my car to 3 different dealers during this problem and all of them said the same thing, the code is stating that the runne bank control valve is stuck open. they would all clear the code and then it would just come back. I assumed when they said they were clearing the code they were also fixing the problem. But then again never assume your technichians are doing anything at all. so finally after i had thought that my car was a lemon and no matter what they did this problem wasn't going to go away, I gathered up all the information took it to what i had found to be the most competent dealership in my area and showed them all the work orders and told them that i want this problem fixed. Of course this was the fifth time that my CEL had come on. Well they finally called me after they had the car for about 4 hours and said well we have found the problem and that is that the runner bank control valve is getting stuck open. They continued to tell me that they weren't sure if the warranty would cover them changing out the part. I told them that i didn't care what they thought the warranty would cover that they needed to change this part because i have 4 work orders stating that this is a consistent problem and i want it fixed. After them searching their inventory they were able to find the part and it took them all of 15 min to install the new part I asked them how could it be only a 15 min job and how could any of the other dealers have realized that the part needed to be changed. I am so glad that they finally got it fixed because i was seriously considering getting rid of my GTI because no one would help me with this problem and i couldn't stand my check engine light going on every couple of weeks. My car wasn't even a year old and didn't even have 10 thousand miles on it how could this be happening. So the basis of my story is make sure your technicians know what they are doing and follow up and make sure they do what you think they are doing. This was such a hassle i hope no one elses experience with VW mechanics are like this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's horrible. I know your pain. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to find people qualified to work on your car. It's like these places just pick up anyone with some rudimentary knowledge of the job. Service is definitely lacking these days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts