Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be an appropriate question for anyone in the Northeast today. How does you fast handle in the snow? And with all season, or performance tires?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got the summer performance tires on the 18's and the GTI is great on both rain and snow, UNLESS its too cold for the salt to work. Then it does OK as long as I have plenty of time to get up to speed. Forget going up slippery hills. I was fairly impressed with the ESP though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm worried about that too
I am getting the 18" with performance tires.. but we only get like a week or two of snow here in Vancouver, BC every year anyways.
Summer is pretty awsome here, 30+ degrees celcius.

the dealership should be calling me any moment now.. to let me know the arrival of my fast :) the wait... is unbearable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i live in jersey and i went out today with my gti- all season tires.. it was good..even though u had to be extremely carefulllll.... if ur dumb u will lose control..just be smartt!!... but i love the front wheel drive.. i'm new to that.. prior to having a Supercrew ford F-150 soo i love it!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
GTI_2007RED said:
i live in jersey and i went out today with my gti- all season tires.. it was good..even though u had to be extremely carefulllll.... if ur dumb u will lose control..just be smartt!!... but i love the front wheel drive.. i'm new to that.. prior to having a Supercrew ford F-150 soo i love it!!
I live in DE and I was out and about in the snow and ice. And even in 4 wheel drive I was spinning tires. :mad:

·
Registered
232 Posts
UnitedGrayGTi06 said:
I live in DE and I was out and about in the snow and ice. And even in 4 wheel drive I was spinning tires. :mad:
4wd in your GTI???? I don't see how this answers his question about the GTI on the snow?

·
Registered
232 Posts
yee said:
im pretty sure hes talking about his f-150
It was GTI_2007RED talking about his old F150, not UnitedGrayGTi06. Either way.... it doesn't provide much insight as to the OP's question about how the GTI handles on snow.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wow summer tires su#$ in the snow. I cant get up any hills without getting stuck. When i stop in the snow all i do is spin the tires. It handles great in the snow once i get it going. Yesterday was pretty fun driving to work which was 15 miles away and took me 1 hour to get here. Then of course after working only 2 hours they told me to go home so another 1 plus in the snow. I prob used about half a tank :(

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Who would have thought Summer tires wouldn't be worth jack in the snow? WTF?? ;D

·
Registered
89 Posts
as far as i know and learned from my dad who is very respectable when it comes to driving (ex rally racer in europe in his old days hehe) winter tires are the number one thing you should invest in if u live ina seasonal climate. I live in toronto and i bought really good Toyos and had pirellis snowsports as well ( the toyos slightly better , they are high end though) and wow they make such a phenomenol difference!! whole different world.. if i ever put all seasons or summers back on in the winter id feel like i have slicks on hehe :) yea i think winters on all 4 tires are an essential upgrade for nay car :)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
A $500-$1000 investment in a set of good snow tires is well worth the insurance deductbile you'd be paying several times each winter if you kept on the summer tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had 20-30 inches of snow in the last 24, depending on where you were. I have the all-season 17's and this was my first time out in the snow with the GTI. It handles fairly well with those tires on, but obviously won't win any hill climing races. Stopped pretty well in the snow and ice and handled pretty well once up to speed. We were very lucky this year to be having this conversation about the first real snow storm in mid-February, but I won't gamble next year. I'll pick up a set of snows on cheap alloys either off Tire Rack or ebay.

The ESP actually got me up my snowy/iced-up driveway, but at a near crawl. Impressive though, how it just kept inching its way along. It actually gets a bit annoying once you are up to speed or close to up to speed. I've started turning it off when I'm not climbing a hill..

Another observation, as the garage was so cold last night that the ice and snow didn't melt off the wheels, I got a real bad shake from the wheels when I got up to 30 mph this morning. Had to pull over and chip the snow and ice off the wheels. Once I did, it was as good as new.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sure many of you have seen the news coverage about how much snow we got in upstate NY last week. I have all-season tires on my car and it works out pretty well. Definitely snow tires would make a difference, but it is possible to stick with all-seasons. If you know how to drive in the snow then you'll do just fine. If someone else is going to run into you, it really doesn't matter what kind of tires you have. Anyway, I can definitely think of other things I could spend $1000 on.

With 10 feet of snow falling in 1 week you tend to get stuck because the car doesn't have enough clearance. In this case, snow tires wouldn't help either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yikes.. i ain't driving my fast in the snow.. doesn't matter how careful you are.. good chance other people will run into you.. too risky!
If it snows, I'm taking my focus. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kubo said:
Yikes.. i ain't driving my fast in the snow.. doesn't matter how careful you are.. good chance other people will run into you.. too risky!
If it snows, I'm taking my focus. :)
I got my fast to drive it. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got no problems driving in the snow. I drove it 600km and back to mid British Columbia no problems. Except when i got more than 170km in the snow then the wheels tend to spin hehe ;D.

But i did have some bad luck i got rear ended twice withing 30 min on the same big street one day when it was snowing bad. People here just dont know how to drive in the snow.

Reason, Vancouver gets only 1 or 2 days of snow a year for those who dont know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts