My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into a discussion about cars with this moron tonight, he got pissed off when i said the build quality of our GTI is heads and tails above others in its class ( like the Speed 3 and the Cobalt SS ), the next thing i know he is calling our GTI slow and comparing it to EVO 8's and STI's.

Then he started talking about how his friend got a "Stang" for 9 grand and that he was puting a turbo in it tomorrow and that it would kick my GTI's ass LOL ... I never even said that our car was that fast, i was just trying to discuss build quality, it amazes me how offended people get that we have a "Vdub" and how dare we even say one positive thing about such a low class car?????

WTF...do i need an Enzo to get any respect? an STI is a 35k car and ours are between 6 and 13k less, why would he even make that comparison? not to mention its AWD... i dont know, just needed to vent.

Gotta keep reminding myself how happy i am with my ride and not waste anymore time on idiots like this guy who obviously have no clue.

Next time ill just shut up, or walk away.

·
Registered
473 Posts
TOE_FAST,

You got respect and when they dont even see us coming and pass them in power/$ we got them. If that Mustang is only built for power then so be it.. watch him fill up every week as we keep right on going. We cant convert them all and there's gonna be some idiots who will claim uneducated stats vs our car. To me its like "show me or shut up".

Better stop, or I'll be as frustrated as you were with that guy. ;)

·
Mod!
3,420 Posts
VA2STLTH said:
TOE_FAST,

You got respect and when they dont even see us coming and pass them in power/$ we got them. If that Mustang is only built for power then so be it.. watch him fill up every week as we keep right on going. We cant convert them all and there's gonna be some idiots who will claim uneducated stats vs our car. To me its like "show me or shut up".

Better stop, or I'll be as frustrated as you were with that guy. ;)
I fill up every week.. :(

sometimes twice.

But back on subject:

If I wanted a truly fast car, for the same amount of money, I would have bought a used Subaru STi... That's not the point.

I don't know why other people bought the car, but i bought my car because i wanted something somewhat "luxurious" with power. Also the fact that I'm tall had a big impact on my decision. I fit perfectly, and because it wasn't a 2 door, I wasn't staring right into the column when i turned my head to the left.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he looked like a combination of those two uncle ... had the ostrich neck and the hillbilly teeth. And obviously had a combination of the two for a brain as well.

I know our car isnt the fastest or most luxurious or the best on gas or the most unique or any one thing, but what it is...is high on all those categories, not the highest...but high up on those lists. For a car thats supposed to be impractical as hell, it kicks the shiit out of cars built with a single intention. GTI vs a STI ... we lose in speed but we win in interior.

GTI vs Mustang ... we are pretty damm close in speed and kill it in handling, fuel efficiency and interior and i think pay less for our car to boot.

everytime i touted a positive thing about our GTI, he would say the car im comparing it to is Sloooooow ( like the mustang GT, or the regular WRX ) He was just a diick... gotta keep reminding myself of that.

Glad this community is here... you guys rule!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i've had discussions like that... the only thing i can do to convince them is to take them for a ride in my GTI... then all of the sudden they get a big smile on their face and are like, "hmm, this is a pretty nice car" then they start to understand that it might not be the fastest car around, but it is quick and torquey and has the complete package of looks, refinement, and sportiness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your all forgetting one very important aspect of the gti the badge has history of passion and the car has a soul not like the sti evo computers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hear you on this one. All I hear every day is about how this idiot's Camaro can beat everything on the road. Well that's great for you, but let's take a look at the upside of that, oh wait, there isn't one. You increase your chances of getting a ticket/getting killed. You look like an asshole in your riced out Camaro, which incidently sounds like you took a sledge hammer to the exhaust. You are uncomfortable everywhere you go, and so are the people that ride with you. You will never get respect from anyone that actually makes a difference, except "that guy" you "beat" on the highway in your p.o.s. Yeah, racing minivans full of children from stoplight to stoplight is pretty frickin cool. You want to know what else is cool? Not being a jackass.

/end rant

Now I know there are enthusiasts out there, and thats awesome, but you know the kind of people I'm talking about.

·
Registered
158 Posts
kylmos said:
lol both the evo and sti have amazing history.....
They've been around half as long as the GTI.

And while they changed rally racing, they didn't invent it. The GTI invented the Hot Hatch.

Not to say they aren't amazing cars that have certainly made some big impressions in the auto world, but it's not the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts