Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my GTI for almost a week, and I notice snow/water leaks into the gap at the top of the tailgate and when it freezes restricts the opening. I have to hold the tailgate have open and chip out the ice from around the hinges. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Doesn't snow here.. and much less water freeze.. Sorry. Can't help you there... What about that guy from alaska? Or Thalo? Where are you Thalo?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in Cleveland, have not had any trouble with this after our 2nd snow of the year, just opened the hatch this morning to load up my blizzaks to take to the dealer for mounting...

·
Registered
479 Posts
I live near Youngstown, Ohio (about an hour from Cleveland) and we have had a few bouts with freezing rain then snow. The only trouble I've had is the windows not opening after my car sat out at work and the temperature went from 60 degrees to below freezing in a few hours accompanied by rain. It was like a giant vanilla GTI popsicle! The side view mirror heaters worked great though. (Would have rather had the bun warmers that day!) Maybe standard equipment in future GTI's? Oh, hatch worked fine.

·
Banned
890 Posts
We've had a few snow storms already this year. Haven't experienced the problem your having. Only thing I notice is that it's hard to clean wiper blades after ice storm. I use rain-X on all my windows for easier snow/ice removal, but wipers are still a PITA

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live near Youngstown, Ohio (about an hour from Cleveland) and we have had a few bouts with freezing rain then snow. The only trouble I've had is the windows not opening after my car sat out at work and the temperature went from 60 degrees to below freezing in a few hours accompanied by rain. It was like a giant vanilla GTI popsicle! The side view mirror heaters worked great though. (Would have rather had the bun warmers that day!) Maybe standard equipment in future GTI's? Oh, hatch worked fine.
totally know what you mean by popsicle... has happened to my civic soooo many times. I didn't get the winter packages on my GTI...didn't want leather.. side view heaters.... grrrr.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Ottawa, Canada and we get our fair share of snow (especially this year). Maybe VW needs to test there cars a little further north. ;)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i got ice all over my car last weekend. lifted up the tailgate, cracked the ice on top, got a perfect cast of my spoiler haha

·
Registered
446 Posts
when i open hatch the snow gets pushed onto the security cover i was pissed it stayed there for a while... it would not melt so finnaly i just grabed as much as i could but half fell into the back so now i do not open when there is snow on top.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had to have my wipers repaired twice, once last winter, once after the recent ice storm. Ice builds up below somewhere and separates some linkage. Can't see it from above. The dealer was good about it first time, but this winter gave my wife a hard time, car 13 months old, 11000 miles, said out of warranty, would cost $100 to look at it, more to repair. She took it to local garage, they fixed it for $30. FU to East Coast Auto Mall, I'll find another service center. Anyone else have this problem w/wipers? Personally I think my wife just needs to let car warm up more, but maybe it's some design problem?

·
Registered
446 Posts
no i had that problem has not broken from it but my wipers got stuck up so they could not finish there motion pissed me off i could not get the ice up and the defrosters did not melt it away...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.