Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think ever single message i posted so far were questions about somthing but heres another one for you intelligent car peoplez

IAT = intake air temperature

1. how does this affect your intake?

2. is the temp. from the engine or outside temp?

anything would be helpful THNKX

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
The goal is to have cool air flowing from your turbo, thru the intercooler (gets even colder) and into your engine. This air is pulled thru your intake. You ask why IAT is important. This is because cooler air is denser, allowing more oxygen molecules to pack into the combustion chamber. When they do this, you get a somewhat larger and more efficient explosion. And we all know what that means, more power!

Basic explanation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnkx for the explanation but does that mean that if im pushing my engine hard that my intake will have problems?

·
Registered
56 Posts
gti_lover said:
thnkx for the explanation but does that mean that if im pushing my engine hard that my intake will have problems?
No. You see, that's where people called engineers come into play. They think hard so you don't have to. Sweetness.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
gti_lover said:
Technically you want a free flowing intake. The stock intake on the MKV is not exactly engineered to be the most high performance intake. Now you can put something like this on,
which will free up your car's breathing and in turn give you a noticeable gain in performance. I don't have one yet, but a friend does and his car sounds like a jet about to take off when he revs it up, due to massive amounts of air flowing thru. So The stock one works, YES, but there is always room for improvement! ;D

·
Registered
749 Posts
You won't hurt your intake by pushing your car hard. It's a very simple piece of equipment and there's not a lot you can do from the driver's seat to harm it. The only thing to worry about with your IAT is fried piston rings if your IAT is too hot and your boost goes too high. That's where the genius engineers at VW come in; the ECU is programmed to account for your IAT when deciding on the amout of boost it will allow from the turbo.

Bcruzin is right that you will benefit from a free flowing intake in that you will get more efficiency on your intake and therefore more HP. If you're going to rechip the ECU for performance, also consider a cold air intake. It will allow you to take more advantage of the increased boost from the chip by lowering your IAT and preventing detonation in the cylinders.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
You won't hurt your intake by pushing your car hard. It's a very simple piece of equipment and there's not a lot you can do from the driver's seat to harm it. The only thing to worry about with your IAT is fried piston rings if your IAT is too hot and your boost goes too high. That's where the genius engineers at VW come in; the ECU is programmed to account for your IAT when deciding on the amout of boost it will allow from the turbo.

Bcruzin is right that you will benefit from a free flowing intake in that you will get more efficiency on your intake and therefore more HP. If you're going to rechip the ECU for performance, also consider a cold air intake. It will allow you to take more advantage of the increased boost from the chip by lowering your IAT and preventing detonation in the cylinders.
You got me beat in the technical area! I had no idea they thought of regulating boost based on IAT. +1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts