Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a mazda rx-8 right before this car, but i traded it in for the GTI in a rush. the reason i traded it in was because my rx-8 was truly a lemon. in 1.5 years i had to get

a new water pump
new starter
new battery
2 sets of plugs (flooding issues that were eventually taken care of)
new clutch
2 transmissions (2nd gear would grind if the car was cold, and it was cold out...eventually 2nd gear blew, and the other time was a bearing cracked (known issue)
entire suspension (shock and strut, and everything else) on the front passenger side
1000 dollar set of tires
new brakes (old ones squeaked)
heat would blow cold air, then hot, then cold...

those were just some of the problems. i realized that i had a lemon and traded it in as quickly as i could for the GTI, even though with all the problems i still loved the car. I was tired of owning a sports car because i related them to all of the problems. Now when i look at my gti, i realized i made a mistake...dont get me wrong, its got power all around and its very luxurious, its just definitely not my type of car. everyone who knew me was shocked that i got it because it didnt fit my personality. I told them all i liked it and didnt think again about it. I even let myself get tied into the myfast thing that they advertisement agency came up with.

Well i have owned the car for 2 months and i would lose a fortune if i tried to trade it in now, but i really know deep down inside that i made a mistake in buying it. i am not putting down the car, it is really nice, its just not for me. I was looking at the G35 this past weekend, and i sat in a new one and realized that even though it is much smaller inside, it was just amazing how it felt. Reminded me a lot of the rx8 feel.

Here is my delema...if i trade in the gti for the g35 i will lose so much money, thousands, but if i keep it, i know i wont be happy with it. i cant trade it in until after december because we are saving every penny we have for our wedding, but i really hope by december/january some of the loss would die down...especially if i buy a sports car in the winter.

thanks for listening

PLEASE KNOW, I AM NOT PUTTING DOWN THE GTI, IT IS JUST NOT THE CAR FOR ME

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hey its your car if i were you trade your Gti in and be happy with your G35. Why wake up everyday kicking your self because of a foolish mistake you made. You may loose money but in the end its worth it. I would never trade my MKV Gti in i love it so much. Do what you gotta do. Have a Fast Day.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't know what your finances are like, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to just throw a few grand away. If it's not for you, I'd advise you to hang onto it until you can break even. Keep checking on trade-in values and comparing that to what you owe. Then, if you're even or if you're comfortable rolling any negative equity in it into another car payment, then do it.

I'd really advise against trading it in too early, though. Any hit you take on it as a trade in is going to make your next car payment unnecessarily high for quite some time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you really disliked the car it would be gone already there is a shred of you in there somewhere that loves this ride I know it!
further more who cares if your friends think its not your "Personality". The car doesnt make the man

anyway best of luck to you in the future and on what you decide to do

·
Registered
37 Posts
I totally support ur opinion but, if you wait you wont lose so much on a trade in just try not to put so many miles on the car. In 1 or 2 yrs they are going to release the VW R36 very powerful and nice. Its the same as the GTI its just has a lot more power. Check it out here

They call it the R32 but they are going to change the name to R36

·
Registered
112 Posts
I feel you, I had an Armada before my GTI, and I loved it, it was perfect for me, but it was killing me in gas, and after 2 yrs it was pushing 45K miles...so I saw the GTI and fell in love with it, also being financially practical, it made sense.. but I must admit I feel a little weird sometimes, especially when my friend/coworker just got a M35, dont get me wrong, I would prefer a sportier car the luxery of the M35, but I have had to defended my GTI a few times.. regardless, I love it, I know when I can spare some cash, it will be performance wise the way I want, and it has so much potential.. I dont know your financial situation, but weddings are freakin expensive, houses are expensive, and kids are expensive... You just experienced the most depreciation in your cars lifetime when you drove it off the lot..You know that in a couple of years there will be something on the market that you will want(08 skyline perhaps) that you would be better off waiting for instead of taking that huge loss right now.. trust me, married life brings some very unexpected twists, with a wedding coming up it may not be the best time to make such a negative financial move, even if it doesnt make you happy right now.. good luck...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with mennace66 that while you mull it over, do everything you can to keep those miles down. Pamper the car as much as you can inside and out, just to be on the safe side. It's a beating to drive something you don't like, but it's a bigger beating dealing with the ramifications of compounding a poor decision with another one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
mennace66 said:
They call it the R32 but they are going to change the name to R36
The R32 and R36 will be different models. They'll both have the same R-Line features, but the R32 will have the 3.2l VR6 and the R36 will have the 3.6l VR6. Hence the numbers following the "R" in the model name.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I don't think they've invented the R36 yet.

Hey, isn't it neat how many versions they have in Europe? There's a model between standard Golf (Rabbit) and GTI called the Golf GT. It actually doesn't look as ugly as the Rabbit-Golf.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i read the skyline will cost about 60-70k when it arrives in america. it will be the infinity gtr...so i highly doubt that i will be able to get that. i dont think i would go with th r32 or r36 or which ever it will be, because it is still the gti looks. when i was trading in the gti i was stuck with the delimna because there wasnt a car that i love. even the g35, but realistically i was very against sport cars at the time. i know deep down that i cant get rid of it right now because i am sure i would lose 5k or more. i was talking with my fiance about this and she knows i dont really love it and it is killing me that i have to keep it. she thinks we should wait until march to save up, she said the only car i can see you being 100% happy in is the nissan skyline, but that will probably never happen. i think she is right about it

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thalo said:
I don't think they've invented the R36 yet.

Hey, isn't it neat how many versions they have in Europe? There's a model between standard Golf (Rabbit) and GTI called the Golf GT. It actually doesn't look as ugly as the Rabbit-Golf.
1. It's been "invented" but they're having some trouble getting the manual trans to not explode when clutch is dumped.

2. There's a GTI in Europe, it's different than the Golf GT. But you forgot about the VW Polo which is like a smaller version of the Golf.

·
Registered
690 Posts
youpey said:
i read the skyline will cost about 60-70k when it arrives in america. it will be the infinity gtr...so i highly doubt that i will be able to get that. i dont think i would go with th r32 or r36 or which ever it will be, because it is still the gti looks. when i was trading in the gti i was stuck with the delimna because there wasnt a car that i love. even the g35, but realistically i was very against sport cars at the time. i know deep down that i cant get rid of it right now because i am sure i would lose 5k or more. i was talking with my fiance about this and she knows i dont really love it and it is killing me that i have to keep it. she thinks we should wait until march to save up, she said the only car i can see you being 100% happy in is the nissan skyline, but that will probably never happen. i think she is right about it
I heard $40 - $50k for the Skyline. Either way, it's really important to be happy with what you're driving. Especially if it's costing you $400 - $700/month. Hang onto the GTI and baby the shit out of it until spring of next year, then trade it up. Seriously, your ol' lady knows what she's talking about.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No one's ever 100% happy with their car. You've got to compromise on a few things. It's like dealing with a woman - some things are deal-breakers, other things you can live with. Do the car cost/benefit analysis with your wife and come up with a definitive plan. Once you've got that, you may not be as happy as you will be soon, but you'll breathe easier being decisive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
youpey said:
i read the skyline will cost about 60-70k when it arrives in america. it will be the infinity gtr...
The newest issue of Automobile magazine "confirms" that the Skyline will be sold as a Nissan and not an Infiniti...they also hint that Infiniti is not happy about this...of course the name doesn't necessarily mean anything about price...
In response to
dean said:
No one's ever 100% happy with their car.
I have a theory: there are Euro-people and there are Asian-people...I owned a Civic between my MK4 & MK5 and hated it...my Lexus-driving buddy would NEVER consider an Audi...enough said...still sad to hear someone doesn't LOVE their GTI though :'(...good luck with getting what you want.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
well ya know the great thing about moddifications today is that you can make a car yer own. if you dont like the car, instead of wasting a few G's and getting a different one, why not moddify what you dont like and truely make it our own ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts