Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out the factory radio yesterday and installed a JVC KD-AVX2 cd/dvd player

http://www.buyersedge.com/Product/prodDesc.asp?XOS=3812923&pageView=1&iDZ=1&

with a bazooka triangular base tube that I've had in my last 3 VWs

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/100X100/00/01/34/fc/23/20249635.JPG

It was easier than expected but with one drawback. I didn't realize until everything was all done and buttoned up that the radio has constant power and will only turn off manually and not when the car is turned off or when the door is opened. It doesn't really bother me because the power shuts off when I remove the face plate anyway. It kinda sucks but I'm not taking everything apart to find out where I f'd up.

I did this all by myself and have very little experience installing radios. So if anyone was pondering doing it and is even slightly handy it's not a hard task.

It sounds great!!!!! The factory speakers sound sooooooooo much better with a new head unit.

I'll post pics this week sometime.

And yes , since it's a dvd player the first thing I did was go and buy "Alice in Chains - MTV unplugged" on dvd. Kinda like a c/d but with visuals .... hahaha

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it installed? I'm kinda curious to see what it looks like ^-^

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Croatian said:
GranTurismoInjection said:
Do you have any pictures of it installed? I'm kinda curious to see what it looks like ^-^
Me 2, i am interested as well
I have to borrow a digital camera. I could take one with my cell phone but I'd like to show it in a better quality photo.

I'll get some soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will let you know that i have installed 2 Radio's in my Fiancees 02 Jetta. And i have had the same problem with the power not turning off with the car or when opening the door. They way the instructions showed me to hook up the power was to run the power wire through the dash and all the way to the fuse panel. This was a pain in the ass and they didn't tell me what fuse to hook it to so i tried all the ones that would shut off when the car was turned off and none of them worked. So i don't know if it is just a VW thing or not. Just wanted to let you know, if you find out what is wrong let me know i would like to be able to fix hers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts