My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so my idiot self sent my key through the washer and now my buttons on my key dont work. it sucks, does anyone know any way i can get a new key without pay a bazillion dollars to gget one through the dealership? :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, i highly dought that you can buy another key not from the dealer but you can always try something first if you still have to buy a key. I would try to pop it apart without braking it, blow out all of the water with an airgun, replace the battery and then pop it back together and try it.
Its worth a shot but i would still plan on ordering a new one anyways and just have a spare.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just had to get a new key from the dealership. they said that if i got a key somewhere else it wouldnt work for long. but that could just be them being douche bags. a regular key was gunna cost me 300 so i just got a "valet key" for like 150

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i found keys on e bay, they are oem keys that have not been lasered yet. i beleive that they will work because for each vehicle the code on the inside of the key is different sometimes so i had to search for a certain key that had the same code so that the programing would be compatable. its still like 75 bucks though. then im going to have to get it lasered and reprogramed so that sucks. i have heard that there is some way to reprogram your key yourself. does anyone know about that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
you can actually go to a locksmith and they will do it for you. BUT, make sure you have both sets of keys, two forms of id, driver's lisence included, the title of the car and also the registration.......................... :( that was a lot. I had to do it once...... :'(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a problem with my key one time...and instead of buying a whole new one for 300...VW just reprogramed it for 160. BUT...if I would have thought about it before hand, I would have found a lock smith. Although some stereo installers can reprogram it. You just have to find the right one. My dad went to one to get his key reprogramed for his car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.