Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was thinking of installing a cold air intake on my 2001 Golf GTI VR6. I was wondering what kinda of power gains I would expect to get. And also how much the power band would be affected (ie, pushing the power up the rpm range or down). Also what about installing just a nice OBX muffler and not doing a catback....is there any gains there or just a nice sound. Anyways thanks in advance

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would say it's probably less than 6 hp, and definitely less than 10 hp. But yeah, you will get the sound if that's what you're going for. I wouldn't install just a muffler w/ performance in mind, because the difference is going to be negligible.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The VR6 and 1.8T exhaust systems are pretty constricted guys, VW did a much better job on the new GTI..

I wouldn't be surprised if he did get a 10 HP gain from the combo of a free flow muffler and intake. He could also remove the cat and open it up that much more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do Golfs like short ram intakes. I was looking at some of the intakes kits for my GTI , I could basically take off the stock air box and jam a cone filter on the end of the stock intake pipe and then stick a little breather filter on the crankcase vent, and that would basically be the same thing. Now in doing this will it give me horsepower all the way around or give me more power up the band. Or could i lose torque or loose high-end. The reason i ask all these questions is that when i installed the intake on my honda civic I lost alot of low end torque. My sisters identical STOCK honda civic had way more torque. And another thing, Does the computer need to be reset after installing an intake on a 2001 golf gti vr6??

I know this is alot of reading but i really need an answer from someone who knows V-dub and has experience with aftermarket parts for them

Thank You =)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
you will lose a little low end torque but not much (especially if its a ram air intake). muffler wise... if you want yer exhaust loud just take off a resenator and/or the cat. that will beef it up a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm ultra new at VW and was wondering some of the same things, but is the torque loss enough to justify the hp gian? I have a 88 325is right now, and I know when I took the muffler off of it and drove around a bit that the torque was no where near what it was before, and I really hated it. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.