Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No that I condone speeding or racing on the freeway in any way, but I had a rather pleasant experience with my Fast the other day. My g/f an I were driving up to Boston for the weekend. Chicky-poo was asleep, so I was able to get away with this without being guilted into slowing down. I was on the stretch of 95 in between Attleboro and Foxboro where everyone seems to drive 100 anyways since there's nothing there anyways. Cruising along at about 90 I see a CLEAN looking black Special Edition MKV GTI. Definitely not riced out, but you could tell he was modded out pretty well. He pulled up to the side of me and slowed down, and here's the good part... We WAVED at each other and smiled before we both downshifted and took off. I stopped chasing at about 120 b/c of traffic conditions, but it was still a cool experience. I'm used to having someone roll up next to me in a fart-can muffler 92 CRX with a primer gray body kit and fake boost gauges (The Rican Dream) and giving me a baleful stare before I stomp his guts out. With the VW crowd, it's more friendly and I thought that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The euro tuner crowd always seems to have better street etiquette than those poor, cheap, sniveling rice burning faeries. I would know... I used to drive a 400 hp Honda Del Sol. Poor thing only got 15 mpg but it was fun. Still trying to offload the thing on some young unsuspecting high school grad. Need more money to feed my fast. Just wondering what part of the New England area you are from. I'm sitting in West Roxbury right now hating this terrible weather.

·
Registered
112 Posts
walkerwhippet said:
No that I condone speeding or racing on the freeway in any way, but I had a rather pleasant experience with my Fast the other day. My g/f an I were driving up to Boston for the weekend. Chicky-poo was asleep, so I was able to get away with this without being guilted into slowing down. I was on the stretch of 95 in between Attleboro and Foxboro where everyone seems to drive 100 anyways since there's nothing there anyways. Cruising along at about 90 I see a CLEAN looking black Special Edition MKV GTI. Definitely not riced out, but you could tell he was modded out pretty well. He pulled up to the side of me and slowed down, and here's the good part... We WAVED at each other and smiled before we both downshifted and took off. I stopped chasing at about 120 b/c of traffic conditions, but it was still a cool experience. I'm used to having someone roll up next to me in a fart-can muffler 92 CRX with a primer gray body kit and fake boost gauges (The Rican Dream) and giving me a baleful stare before I stomp his guts out. With the VW crowd, it's more friendly and I thought that was pretty cool.
Hey whippet boy, what exactly do you mean by Rican dream?? Just curious...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The area of CT I used to live in had an overabundance of horribly riced out Hondas with Puerto Rican flags or banners across the windshield that would say "Rican Pride" or "Rican Dream". Probably should explain that before I come across like a jerk. And I live in Westerly, Rhode Island for the previous guy

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am puerto rican and dont have a flag on my rearview and I dont have fake pods on my pillar, just like many other puerto ricans I know... I dont think you would appreciate someone implying that because of your skin tone or nationality you must have a trans am part donor sitting next to your kiddie pool and grill on your front lawn, with empty cans of busch lights or old milwaukee acting as mulch....I dont know you or what your thoughts were when you wrote that, but thats how it came across, but I also know people sometimes dont come across the way they intended to, so I will assume you werent generalizing my culture or race as tacky and cheap...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
avega said:
I am puerto rican and dont have a flag on my rearview and I dont have fake pods on my pillar, just like many other puerto ricans I know... I dont think you would appreciate someone implying that because of your skin tone or nationality you must have a trans am part donor sitting next to your kiddie pool and grill on your front lawn, with empty cans of busch lights or old milwaukee acting as mulch....I dont know you or what your thoughts were when you wrote that, but thats how it came across, but I also know people sometimes dont come across the way they intended to, so I will assume you werent generalizing my culture or race as tacky and cheap...
Lol. Alright. You can't be so overly sensitive if you've got your own generalizations though. I'm the whitest of the white people. I have gingervitis (Red hair, pale skin and freckles). If i can laugh at your comment about Trans-Ams and Old Milwaukee, you should be able to laugh at a Rican Dream Sticker!

·
Registered
398 Posts
avega said:
trans am part donor sitting next to your kiddie pool and grill on your front lawn, with empty cans of busch lights or old milwaukee acting as mulch....
Hey it might look like a parts car but that '84 T/A parked out front has the 6.6 HO under the hood. She don't run at the moment but a couple more 30 packs of Milwaukee's Best and she should be spinning her Crager S/S rims and burning tire smoke thicker than a trailer on fire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Believe me, I am not sensitive at all, but I gotta say something If I think something needs to be said... thats why I questioned you first before I said you were trying to say something that I wasnt sure you were trying to say...there are a lot of ignorant people with fucked up mentalities, and I just wanted to make sure someone wasnt trying to disrespect others on this kind of forum, there's enough out there...no harm done...hope your enjoying your GTI..and I was just making an example!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
zulu said:
avega said:
trans am part donor sitting next to your kiddie pool and grill on your front lawn, with empty cans of busch lights or old milwaukee acting as mulch....
Hey it might look like a parts car but that '84 T/A parked out front has the 6.6 HO under the hood. She don't run at the moment but a couple more 30 packs of Milwaukee's Best and she should be spinning her Crager S/S rims and burning tire smoke thicker than a trailer on fire.
ha...the one good thing homeowner associations saves you from!!!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Generalize all you want about me... I'm German-Canadian, drive a Volkswagen and love hockey and beer.

And ewww... West Roxbury. I used to park my car there occasionally and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't get broken into. I went to Northeastern.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I love generalizations and stereotypes. I find them quite humorous and so does everyone else as long as they know the person making they comment means it in good humor.

I'm a white trash TEXAN with a gun rack mounted in the back of my pickup. I also have a confederate flag on the back window, a "Don't Mess With Texas" bumper sticker, and a truck bed full of beer cans and snuff rolls. If I ever find a good set of steer horns I'm gonna mount them on my hood.

PS - There's a reason we have stereotypes. It's because they are mostly true! Don't be ashamed of who you are.

G

·
COBALT SS SUPERCHARGED
THIS CAR WOULD SMOKE U ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE FACTORY KNOT TO 60 IN 6 SEC AND MORE STANDARD EQUIPMENT ( 18'S AND BODYKIT, ETC..)
SO HAVE YOU ALL CONSIDERED THIS VEHICLE BEFORE OR AFTER UR MK5
IM DECIDING..... SO WOULD APPRECIATE UR OPINIONS.

·
Registered
321 Posts
COBALT SS SUPERCHARGED
THIS CAR WOULD SMOKE U ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE FACTORY
Not quite... Although the Supercharged Cobalt SS is a formidable competitor, it won't beat the GTI in any category. I did look at this car before I bought my GTI. It drives nicely and is definitely quick. But comparing it to the GTI is a no-brainer. The GTI handles better and is faster all around. The GTI is simply built better and has more available options. Sure it costs a tad bit more too, but I believe you get what you pay for (in this case at least).

Check out this comparison I got from the Chevrolet website. The comparison is produced by Edmonds so it should be non-biased.

Cobalt SS vs. Mazda3 vs. Focus vs. GTI vs. Civic SI

This will give you a good comparison on a few different choices. Make sure you actually drive the GTI before you make your decision.

better gas mileage than the mk5
Not true! Just look at the comparison. Cobalt = 23/29, GTI = 23/32. Plus, I have actually gotten over 37 mpg average over a whole tank of gas in my GTI. I thought it was too good to be true so I checked the numbers later to verify and it was accurate.

comes with more standard equipment
Okay, so it comes with a few things the GTI doesn't have standard, but what about the stuff that the GTI comes with standard that the Cobalt doesn't offer at all? 6 speed, 4 wheel independant suspension, heated seats washer jets and mirrors, headlight washers, air conditioned glove box and center console, Air Bags, telescopic steering, bigger brakes, DSG... This list goes on. The GTI has so many features that it would take a whole forum just to discuss them all. The computer on the instrument cluster is awesome!

Go drive the GTI after the Cobalt. Your decision will be a simple one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Plus, the Cobalt is missing the GTI's ravishing good looks (interior and exterior).

mo said:
COBALT SS SUPERCHARGED
THIS CAR WOULD SMOKE U ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE FACTORY KNOT TO 60 IN 6 SEC AND MORE STANDARD EQUIPMENT ( 18'S AND BODYKIT, ETC..)
SO HAVE YOU ALL CONSIDERED THIS VEHICLE BEFORE OR AFTER UR MK5
IM DECIDING..... SO WOULD APPRECIATE UR OPINIONS.
Also, the GTI can come with 18's and the body kit (ground effects).

G

·
thanks folks i still think i have to think it over :-\. but if i get a gti i'll be sure to join u fellow v-dubbers. i know one thing though the cobalt ss/sc has not sparked a cult as big as the gti's, but then again the car is only 3 years "new" into the tuner market.

·
Registered
690 Posts
mo said:
thanks folks i still think i have to think it over :-\. but if i get a gti i'll be sure to join u fellow v-dubbers. i know one thing though the cobalt ss/sc has not sparked a cult as big as the gti's, but then again the car is only 3 years "new" into the tuner market.
Technically, that's not accurate. While the name and the fact that it's offered with a factory supercharger may be realtively new, the Cavalier (which is all a Cobalt really is) has been around for quite some time. And that in and of itself is partly the reason it hasn't caught on with "tuners." Cavaliers are known for being giant, steaming pieces of shit, and from what I've heard from several owners, the Cobalt is no different.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey Mic, +5 for that well thought out, thorough, insult-free argument, and an additional +1 for citing a source. Keep up the good work, buddy.

·
Registered
573 Posts
DrJones said:
mo said:
Technically, that's not accurate. While the name and the fact that it's offered with a factory supercharger may be realtively new, the Cavalier (which is all a Cobalt really is) has been around for quite some time. And that in and of itself is partly the reason it hasn't caught on with "tuners." Cavaliers are known for being giant, steaming pieces of shit, and from what I've heard from several owners, the Cobalt is no different.
GM has been attempting to push tuning of the Cavalier since ~ 84' with the Z24 version of the car. It never caught on for good reason...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts