Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So lately I've been getting this really odd hum coming from (what sounds like) the front of my car. It gets louder when I steer right, which makes me think it is a wheel bearing issue. However there is 0 play whatsoever when the car is jacked up. Any ideas?

Also, my front left rotor is almost completely covered in rust on the outer side. With maybe a 1/4 inch of shiny metal in the middle. It's like this even after I drive, and I get a pretty gnarly wobble if i lightly tap the brakes, but it goes away when I press a bit harder. Obviously I need new pads and rotors. But could that be the culprit? And what could even cause that?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Replace brakes first, if hum continues then do the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making a trip to Oriely tomorrow to get some rotors and pads, so i did my best to resurface the rotor just too see if that would take the hum away. It did take almost all of the brake wobble away, but the hum is still there. Still think it's the wheel bearing? How do I determine which one? Both?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If you can get it in the air you may be able to hear it by spinning the wheel. It isn't a bad idea to do both if you don't mind spending the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts