Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, know nothing about the GTI's yet...

Bought an 09, has aftermarket wheels and tires. Putting the stock, I think, Detroit 18" rims with new tires back on it. Wife does not like the aftermarket wheels.

Do the stock rims need some type of Hub centric spacers? Or, just bolt them up?
TY in advance!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Spacers only help space the wheel out more which can help make the car look better. they can also help an aftermarket wheel clear the brakes. If your brakes are stock then you don't need spacers for stock wheels

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Spacers only help space the wheel out more which can help make the car look better. they can also help an aftermarket wheel clear the brakes. If your brakes are stock then you don't need spacers for stock wheels
Sorry, I meant hub-centric rings, not spacers. I'm having an issue with some aftermarket wheels, had them spun with a 1500lb weight applied and they balanced up well. But, after putting them on the car with the plastic hub centric rings I get a shimmy above 60mph. The rings fit tightly, although I know nothing about the rings(sizes etc....) as they came with the used car. The previous owner said he had no issues with any shimmy until he put them on the car but at that point his wife left her job and was not driving the car anymore very much so they left the wheels on it. The car is an 09 with 28K original miles. Original owner said with the original wheels and tires it was smooth as glass. Wife just did not like the look of the factory wheels.
Tire guy recommended putting the stock 18" wheels on with new tires and see what happens. So, that is my next step.
I'm assuming the stock wheels don't need any type of rings or anything...right..?
Just bolt them up.

No accident history and front end appears 28k tight with no obvious issues. TY for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Yeah. Stock Denvers/Huffs/Detroits you can just bolt and go.
My guess is the p.o. put a few more miles on than they admitted with those possibly improperly fitted ring(s) and spotted/warped those tires. Balanced or not they're more than likely toast.
Rimz yo!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
like rabid said, just bolts on. stock wheel/hub size is 57.1mm

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

·